Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM

58 posts, read 241,673 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife & I will be relocating soon. Right now we’re renting in a new suburban area near 288 & the belt, and our lease is up in about 6 months. We’ve lived here about 6 months, so we’re beginning to learn about the city, but would like some help in finding a home to buy.

I work in the Clear Lake area, so my commute now is about 45 minutes: east on the Belt & south on the Gulf. We’d like to be in a cooler area, so I figure if I take the distance I’m spending on the Belt, we can get nearer to the heart of the city & keep my commute about the same distance. My wife goes to school at UH’s main campus, so keeping her commute down will be easy.

Our maximum to spend is about $220,000. We’re young & without children (for at least 4 years). Here are some specific questions:

1) There are some new homes in the Old Chinatown district, just a few blocks east of downtown. I know that’s a warehouse district now, and mostly empty, but these homes are pretty nice & modern, and (assuming they are safe), would be close to her school & about 45 minutes from my office. Anybody know anything about these homes? Any predictions on whether this area (specifically, around McKinney & St. Charles) is gentrifying? Your best guess: would it be nicer/safer in 4 years, or about the same/worse?

2) Assuming I could get more house for the dollar a little farther out, any recommendations on established neighborhoods close to the Gulf Freeway, between downtown & the Belt? I haven’t done much looking, but the areas I’ve seen don’t look promising. As I said we’d like to be close to the action, but if there are good deals to be had a little farther out, kind of splitting the distance between her commute & mine, I’d love to see them. Suburban hell is kind of scary to me right now, but the resale value is probably better in a tree-lined, suburban neighborhood, right? Those Chinatown houses won’t sell to families with children.

Thanks for your time & I look forward to your suggestions.

EDIT: I've found the following posts informative:
" Hot Houston Neighborhoods ... where are they? (McKinney, Spring: real estate, housing, business)"
and
" Houston's "hidden gem" neighborhoods? (Bellaire, River Oaks: estate, house, rent)"

Modster's comments re: Eastwood are interesting, but I'd welcome any comments about the area a little farther west (closer to downtown) than what Eastwood appears to be. Thanks.

Last edited by redstripe; 01-18-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
Where have you been?

Glenbrook Valley
Glenbrook Valley : Home

Also check out Meadowcreek Village. About the Meadowcreek Village Civic Club Idylwood Idylwood Civic Club + Houston, Texas - Home (http://www.idylwood-houston.org - broken link)

and Eastwood Eastwood Civic Association

Eastwood

Idylwood is less transitional than Eastwood with more 30's & 40's bungalows:

This one is currently for sale on a double lot, $225,000 I think

A Mackie & Kamrath designed mid-century modern in Meadowcreek Village

Glenbrook Valley

Currently on the market for $189,900

Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
I'll second Modster on those neighborhoods perfect mid-way point for you and hop-skip for your wife. Also hop-skip to the activities you prefer.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Eastwood is super close to downtown. There is nothing but the warehouse district between it and the Geo Brown convention center.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 AM

58 posts, read 241,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Eastwood is super close to downtown. There is nothing but the warehouse district between it and the Geo Brown convention center.
Well, there's this:

934 Mckinney Park, Houston, TX 77003 - Mckinney Park Houston

It's right in the warehouse district, in Old Chinatown. Would you consider that part of Eastwood? Is it just an anomaly, or do you think other homes or businesses like it will intrude into the district?

Quote:
Where have you been?
Just passing time in suburbia. Now that I'm gainfully employed again, we can start looking for a nice house to buy. The pictures you've posted are great---I found some of them on HAR already, in the neighborhoods you discussed in the two previous threads I mentioned. Since we have 5 or 6 months before we buy, a lot of the current listings will probably be gone.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,243 times
If you're going to buy into Eastwood do it soon before the home prices start to swell up like in the Heights or Garden Oaks in NW Houston.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstripe View Post
Well, there's this:

934 Mckinney Park, Houston, TX 77003 - Mckinney Park Houston

It's right in the warehouse district, in Old Chinatown. Would you consider that part of Eastwood? Is it just an anomaly, or do you think other homes or businesses like it will intrude into the district?

Just passing time in suburbia. Now that I'm gainfully employed again, we can start looking for a nice house to buy. The pictures you've posted are great---I found some of them on HAR already, in the neighborhoods you discussed in the two previous threads I mentioned. Since we have 5 or 6 months before we buy, a lot of the current listings will probably be gone.
That townhome complex is in what I would call the warehouse district, between Eastwood and downtown. I expect more and more of that land will convert into residential redevelopment, especially with the metro commuter rail line running through it.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
I would chose Garden Villias Airport & Telephone nice homes larg losts next I would chose parts of Riverside Terrace not all parts closer to brase bayou are pertty nice right off 288 & about 2 to 3 miles from down town

Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
while the homes in garden villas and glenbrook are nice; it will be awhile before i would consider it a safe area. Lived there for a while and it was a transitional neighborhood and amenties outside the neighborhood (safe amenties) were scarce. Had to go too far for groceries (again at an area I felt safe in) and we got tired of hearing gunshots from Broadway and/or Bellfort in the evenings.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
while the homes in garden villas and glenbrook are nice; it will be awhile before i would consider it a safe area. Lived there for a while and it was a transitional neighborhood and amenties outside the neighborhood (safe amenties) were scarce. Had to go too far for groceries (again at an area I felt safe in) and we got tired of hearing gunshots from Broadway and/or Bellfort in the evenings.
I live there now and I have not experienced that at all. I know a lot of people in the neighborhood and most have not experienced any issues. The problems in the area are pretty much limited to the apartment complexes. Its no more dangerous to go to the Fiesta or Krogers around here than it is Disco Kroger on Montrose or anyplace else in town. A lot of people do go to the one further out on the beltway since its nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston