Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 44,404 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I moved to Houston almost a year ago and we would like to get another apartment. We have looked at The Retreat at Cypress Station and also Republic Hollow Tree. Both apartments has amenities that we had at our apartment that we lived in for three years prior to moving here. However, when we mentioned to a few of our associates that we maybe moving to the area, they gave a look of shock as if the area is notorious for crime. We understand that nowhere is 100% safe, but the two places don't resemble the other apartments surrounding it. Does anyone have any suggestions? We need to be close to our jobs and I45. Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,585 times
I think you should listen to your associates. Not sure why you would think they would lie to you. Go further up to Spring Stuebner, much better area.

Or if you are hellbent on it, then bulletproof vest and glock!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Oh my...well, my wife toured the properties and fell in love. She won't be too pleased when I inform her that someone else has said the same thing. As for Spring Stuebner, do you have any suggestions? Also, as far as guns, we have a few but would hate to use them but will if we have to, worse part, the wife is a better shot than me LOL

Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Sure they may look nice but Cypress Station is like home turf for Katrina evacuees. Sure not everyone was bad but the people with flat screens in the Astrodome and the ones who were looting in NOLA then moved to Houston? Well a LOT moved to Cypress Station.

It's just not a nice area.

I doubt it's wall to wall crime but if you're not a minority [Mod cut] I'd stay away. That may sound bad but really you're kind of extremely noticed and in a decently crime area that's not what you want.

Don't be cheap.

For a few hundred extra have more peace of mind. You don't need to be THAT close to 45. Move up 45 and look around Louetta, Cypresswood and beyond.

Or be cheap and then regret it later.

Last edited by elnina; 09-09-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 PM

My wife telecommutes so she is home 90% of the time and her main concern is being safe when she is working. Since I won't be able to protect her while she is working, I will have her start looking in those areas that you suggested, she won't be happy but I would rather pay the same and be safer than the same and always on the lookout. Also, we know all too well about the Katrina thugs, we are from Baton Rouge, so a lot of them brought Baton Rouge down with it.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
I actually live in Cypress Station and been living here since 2011. It's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Since I've lived here have not heard of one murder in Cypress Station, nor haven't heard any gunshots. Compare that to when I use to reside in westchase area and heard numerous gunshots and also murders near westchase.

As far as alot of N.O. living in Cypress Station mmm that is a lie. Sure I run into N.O. ppl all the time ANYWHERE in the city and most are not Katrina thugs. That was 05 this is 2013 these ppl are Houston residents get over it.

Also while most of the residents in Cypress Station area are black and hispanic there are several white ppl who live here. My neighbors are white. Don't listen to ppl who don't live here there lying to you. Im telling you the truth cause I live here.

Retreat at Cypress Station are nice apts. Probably the nicest apts in the area. I honestly feel ppl target CS as being dangerous because it's mostly blacks and hispanics. CS is not Cranbrook or Cityview in Greenspoint or Desoto where those areas are dangerous. It's not even sketchy.

What I will tell you is my apt. did get broken into and a friend of mine who happens to be from New Orleans got robbed at Gun Point this saturday. Im being 100% honest. For some reason northwest Houston seems to have more break ins and attempted robberies then murders.

The crazy thing is that's the 1st time I've heard of someone getting robbed at gunspoint in Cypress Station since I've lived here.

And guess what if your homeowner in Louetta,Cypresswood,Stubener you'll more likely to get your house broken into then Cypress Station. I promise you there are more break ins in the nicer areas ppl are telling you to move to then CS. But I'll say more ppl are moving into CS and it's getting more crowded atleast inmy complex. So I will be moving out of CS but it has nothing to do with overall crime in that area because it's nowhere near as bad as ppl are painting but for my own personal reasons.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Ask the apartment people for their security report. Call the Harris County sheriff's office and the Constable's office and ask them about crime. You can go to a site called crimereport.com. The HCSD post there within 24 hours of a call. Areas around freeways sometimes have a little more crime than further away from the freeway. In any town.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 AM

Thanks to all of you for your input. @redlionjr totally agreed @crone thank you for the site to go to!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 AM

I understand, my wife and I are black also, so we know that people who do horrible things come in all races/colors/etc. She is on the phone now contacting other places.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
[Mod cut: response to a part of the post that has been deleted]

For myself, when I mention crime in Houston I'm mostly talking about break ins, etc. There are a lot in Cypress Station. It's not ghetto central, something from NYPD, Compton CA type drive bys and such.

My logic, the more nice your area the least likely you are to be a target. Why? Criminals have to pass a looooooooooong stretch of nice places before they get to you. Why drive 20 streets in to get to your house that's the 8th on the block and pass up all those other places? You're more protected and blend better. You get lost in the crowd.

Last edited by elnina; 09-09-2014 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: