Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 AM

64 posts, read 117,673 times

Advertisements

looking for a pediatrician in southwest Houston who will order testing - nutritional panels, IGE tests, etc, letters of medical necessity, and is open minded to us using alternative dr's as well (naturopath, homeopath and homotoxicolist).thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Just our of curiosity. What would naturopath, hopeopath etc do for autism? I have two friends with autistic children.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 AM

Wow, I read up on Defeat Autism Now. I asked my buddy about the group. He has a child that has an autistic child. He had nothing good to say about it. It is not a disease caused by your diet. Many of those diets can be harmful for a child too. You don't need a medical license to be a DAN doctor. Autism does not come from immunizations. That has been thoroughly disproved. There is also no cure for autism. It is something that just must be managed. I have talked to my buddy many nights about this. It flat out angers him that people blame diets and immunizations for autism. He says it is dangerous and irresponsible. Anyways, good luck!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Wow, I read up on Defeat Autism Now. I asked my buddy about the group. He has a child that has an autistic child. He had nothing good to say about it. It is not a disease caused by your diet. Many of those diets can be harmful for a child too. You don't need a medical license to be a DAN doctor. Autism does not come from immunizations. That has been thoroughly disproved. There is also no cure for autism. It is something that just must be managed. I have talked to my buddy many nights about this. It flat out angers him that people blame diets and immunizations for autism. He says it is dangerous and irresponsible. Anyways, good luck!
This deserves reposting!!!!!

Thank you!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Agreed. However, diets like gfcf are generally not harmful. And, they can help if the child has allergies or celiac disease. They are not treatments for autism, but they can treat co-existing conditions.

Many of the treatments used are homeopathic, which is a scam in and of itself
Homeopathy: The Ultimate Fake

Most of the other things though are not only not beneficial, but can be harmful.

Autism Fraud: DAN Dr Lynn Durand Condemns My Son To Remain Autistic

Doctors Sued Over Autism Chelation Therapy - ABC News

The blood tests used also have no scientific basis.
How the "Urine Toxic Metals" Test Is Used to Defraud Patients

Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Just our of curiosity. What would naturopath, hopeopath etc do for autism? I have two friends with autistic children.
Nothing at all. These are scams. The best treatments for autism involve therapies like ABA and Floortime and RDI (not proven, but similar to Floortime). Speech therapy and Occupational therapy can also be key depending upon the child's needs.

If your friend wants to find out more about autism treatment and are in Houston, they should join the Houston Autism Meetup Group.

The Houston Autism Group (Houston, TX) - Meetup

Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Is it something with the whole GSCF diets? I personally don't think paying extra, unnecessary money will help. They already have a difficult road ahead having a challenge caused by who knows what. Let them still be typical.

They them eat the cake at the friend's birthday party instead of the "special" cupcake, slice of cake that's gluten free. They them pick from whatever's on the kid's menu at that restaurant instead of packing them a "special" meal in a lunchbox because you can't be sure what's GFCF. I've seen that a lot in restaurants and go awww when it occured to me why a 12 year old has a big lunchbox in a restaurant.

When they're a certain age/size it looks odd. Helping them be as normal as possible in society goes far in acceptance.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Is it something with the whole GSCF diets? I personally don't think paying extra, unnecessary money will help. They already have a difficult road ahead having a challenge caused by who knows what. Let them still be typical.

They them eat the cake at the friend's birthday party instead of the "special" cupcake, slice of cake that's gluten free. They them pick from whatever's on the kid's menu at that restaurant instead of packing them a "special" meal in a lunchbox because you can't be sure what's GFCF. I've seen that a lot in restaurants and go awww when it occured to me why a 12 year old has a big lunchbox in a restaurant.

When they're a certain age/size it looks odd. Helping them be as normal as possible in society goes far in acceptance.
You can do the GFCF diet without worrying about a doctor. Btw, many restaurants now offer gfcf menus (not sure about here in Houston, but in many other cities).

If a child cannot process gluten, then if makes sense to do this diet. Otherwise it probably will not help. My grandson is not on the diet and is doing fine, but I do know some kids whose digestive systems have been helped by the diet. Do not criticize a parent who does this kind of diet when you have no clue what their child's issues really are.

Autistic kids will not be typical regardless of what you do. Sometimes, the general public will not know a child is autistic, but the parents and his teachers do know. And even then, the general public will probably not think s/he looks typical.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 AM

While a gfcf diet might not be harmful. It will have no effect on autism. I am just not a fan of these people selling hope when they don't have any scientific data backing it up. Many of these people profit on parents desperate to help their child. There is no about of money a parents won't spend. I even see my dad start to get taken in by this sort of thing. He has Parkinson's. He was talking about getting stem cell therapy in Mexico. There was an article that he read somewhere about it. Just do your homework. There is no miracle fix for most things. I just don't understand the distrust of doctors these days. Not all surgeons want to cut. Not all doctors would to prescribe pills. People that did not go to medical school do want to make money off you.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
While a gfcf diet might not be harmful. It will have no effect on autism. I am just not a fan of these people selling hope when they don't have any scientific data backing it up. Many of these people profit on parents desperate to help their child. There is no about of money a parents won't spend. I even see my dad start to get taken in by this sort of thing. He has Parkinson's. He was talking about getting stem cell therapy in Mexico. There was an article that he read somewhere about it. Just do your homework. There is no miracle fix for most things. I just don't understand the distrust of doctors these days. Not all surgeons want to cut. Not all doctors would to prescribe pills. People that did not go to medical school do want to make money off you.
Unfortunately, many doctors do want to make money off you. You have to be careful about doctors as well as other marketers.

Medicare Fraud Horror: Cancer Doctor Indicted for Billing Unnecessary Chemo | TIME.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston