Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 AM

339 posts, read 765,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you want a yardman or a landscaper?

Someone to mow or someone to design the plantings and plant?
we already have someone to mow. what i'm wanting is someone to pull the weeds, let me know when its time to replace the mulch, when to change the sprinkler settings or adjusting the sprinklers, etc. for e.g., one of our trees in the back is dying. it would be nice if they can tell me what i need to do to remedy it. our current mower just mows the grass and if he finds stuff that needs to be fixed, he doesn't say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,529,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by test icicle View Post
$40 to fertize a lawn? He is likely using half of a $12 bag of fertilizer from Walmart for that job.
A large bag of Scott's to cover 10,000 sq. ft costs $38.97 at Lowe's. Maybe his lawn guy is using something cheaper, but I'd say he isn't too far off.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
we already have someone to mow. what i'm wanting is someone to pull the weeds, let me know when its time to replace the mulch, when to change the sprinkler settings or adjusting the sprinklers, etc. for e.g., one of our trees in the back is dying. it would be nice if they can tell me what i need to do to remedy it. our current mower just mows the grass and if he finds stuff that needs to be fixed, he doesn't say anything.
Check with your yard guy. Mine will mow, edge and blow my front for 20 a week. The back has no grass. He will add on trimming bushes and weeding the beds for another 10 a week Fertilizing and adding mulch is a separate transaction that he does. He brings the mulch and spreads it for around 400.

As far as the sprinkler setting, we do ours manually, depending on the amount of rain we get. We have a gauge. If it rains 1 to 1 1/2 inches we do not water. We water to supplement the amount needed for the plants and the foundation. I fertilize. It takes about 10 minutes, 3 or 4 times a year.

The guys who mow don't know how to care for plants. You are looking for a gardener.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
A large bag of Scott's to cover 10,000 sq. ft costs $38.97 at Lowe's. Maybe his lawn guy is using something cheaper, but I'd say he isn't too far off.
I probably don't have 10,000 sqft of grass - I've never calculated it but when I looked at what he was charging me to do it versus doing it myself it was a no brainer. My lawn guy's a nice guy - he told me he buys bulk and gets it cheaper. Whatever it is that he uses works though.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 AM

339 posts, read 765,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
As far as the sprinkler setting, we do ours manually, depending on the amount of rain we get. We have a gauge. If it rains 1 to 1 1/2 inches we do not water. We water to supplement the amount needed for the plants and the foundation. I fertilize. It takes about 10 minutes, 3 or 4 times a year.
so if it rains 1 to 1 1/2 inches, you don't water for the week?

Also, when you say we water to supplement the foundation- is that in addition to even if it has rained 1 - 1 1/2 inches? or how do you know how much to water for the foundation?

I guess what i need is a gardener- any recommendations?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
so if it rains 1 to 1 1/2 inches, you don't water for the week?

Also, when you say we water to supplement the foundation- is that in addition to even if it has rained 1 - 1 1/2 inches? or how do you know how much to water for the foundation?

I guess what i need is a gardener- any recommendations?
It's not good to let the soil around the foundation get dry and crack. You shouldn't have standing water around the foundation either. It's just good to keep it at a moderate level.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
All plants and the slab need is an inch or inch and 1/2 a week. We got 2 inches this past weekend, so we will not water until next Monday, if there is no more rain. Better for the plants and lawn to water deeply once a week than a little bit every other day.

Some people put a soaker hose 18- 24 inches from their foundation in periods of drought to insure the soil around the foundation does not dry out too much.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM

114 posts, read 301,999 times
Lawn Mowing...

$40 / Twice a month , $25 once a month - Pearland Area

Neighbor pays $50 / Twice a month

Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 AM

340 posts, read 803,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
We pay $40 every 2 weeks just to mow, edge and bag. We have a small yard but our guys are dependable and work very hard.
Is that for two mowings? If not you are getting hosed. I pay $25 a mow and have a 10,000sqft lot which only half is grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: