Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 PM

47 posts, read 70,063 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain to me how the public school system in Houston works it seems very confusing. I see many of the schools have special programs such as music or science and there is even a public Montessori school. As I understand it these schools also serve as magnate schools and people that are not zoned to them can apply under some conditions (no exactly sure what they are), right? How about someone that is zoned to a music and art school and whats emphasis on science, is he forced to go to a school with emphasis on art? even weirder what about parents that live in a Montessori zone but want traditional schooling are they forced to move?

We are still a few years away from public school but I would like to figure this out if we plan to buy a house in Houston. Is there a good place to read about how the system works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,146,613 times
I don't live in Houston proper (live in a suburb). As far as I know you are only "zoned" to public schools. Therefore - if you are inside the public school zone to go to school x , then that's where you would go if you chose public school for your child. Otherwise, you apply/interview/lottery system to get into all other types of school (magnet/charter/Montessori/etc).

Old 08-30-2013, 12:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,402,604 times
Here is the deal for HISD...

You are zoned to a neighborhood school that is your default school. It follows the same curriculum as other schools in Texas. Some of those schools have separate programs you can apply for and attend.

The programs range from Vanguard (gifted), biligual, and Magnets.

The magnets focus on different areas, but your child will also learn the other subjects too.

You can visit all the campuses during Magnet tours.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM

But as far as I can tell people are zoned to magnet/Montessori schools this is what is confusing me. For example part of montrose to Woodrow Wilson Montessori.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Here is the deal for HISD...

You are zoned to a neighborhood school that is your default school. It follows the same curriculum as other schools in Texas. Some of those schools have separate programs you can apply for and attend.

The programs range from Vanguard (gifted), biligual, and Magnets.

The magnets focus on different areas, but your child will also learn the other subjects too.

You can visit all the campuses during Magnet tours.
So if I understand correctly the Music program is an additional program within the school that you need to apply to if you are zoned to that school and want to attend the program? How about Montessori style learning within a public school also a separate program? most of the school has traditional style learning?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM

You will have to contact that school to find out more, but I doubt it is entirely Montessori.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM

914 posts, read 1,835,699 times
If you go to the HISD website, there is an explanation of the Magnet program. The Magnet program started as a way to foster desegregation and school choice. Magnet applications are due in the spring. if you are zoned to a school you don't have to separately apply for a magnet program within your own school. They test for gifted/talented at every school, and have GT programs at every school. There are some schools that are all GT. You have to apply to magnet into those and there is a lottery to get in. If you don't like the emphasis of your zoned school you can apply to another magnet school.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM

I advise you to check out all the magnets before making your choice, and filling out the paperwork in a timely and precise manner. I think most schools have their tours in October/November. I can't remember the deadline for paperwork, but I think it is earlier than spring. Maybe January?

added info:The deadline for first round consideration this year was January 11th, 2013.

Last edited by Meyerland; 08-30-2013 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM

Thank you, my child is way to young to attend public school I'm just trying to get an idea of how things work before we consider buying a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: