Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,307,922 times

Advertisements

I always wondered to myself why Metro puts millions of dollars to areas where "millions" of dollars are not collected above and beyond more affluent parts of the city. For example, there are lots of people who would not mind a light rail going through their neck of the woods, but then I see Houston putting rail in the some of the poorest areas of town. 'Same with buses, but after reading the Chron article, they point out a nugget that finally answers it for me...

"Metro isn't a business, and it must provide some critical services whether board members want to or not. Public transit must comply with federal law, specifically Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Bus and rail agencies can't disenfranchise minorities or low-income neighborhoods or provide preferential service to an area to the detriment of a protected group."

So there it is, for anyone who ever pondered the same thing. Here is the link to the Chon...

Metro to 're-imagine' its bus routes - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM

235 posts, read 361,212 times
Makes sense given that transit agencies were one of the focal points of the Civil Rights struggle.

Just remember, Metro is not a "business." It is not around to make money. It is a public service just like the public schools, police department, fire department, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM

568 posts, read 903,798 times
That should have been obvious, no offense. The main reason the Metro rail expansions are going through poorer neighborhoods first is for a different reason though. The cost to acquire the land is much cheaper and the profits generated from the gentrification of these areas are going to benefit numerous parties. Rising property taxes, construction for houses/multi-family/offices/bars/restaurants/retail, sales taxes from emerging small businesses, real esatate transactions which will boom in these areas, etc., are going to generate a lot of revenue for many entities. Despite the fact Metro is not a business they are going to spur some nice development as this city continues to fill in.

It would be nice if other areas would stop fighting rail...

Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,233,685 times
"gentrification"....yeah right....Metro picked areas "perceived" to be tough to the average person...

If they run the rail thru Sunnyside and 5th ward...now we're talking

again.."gentrification"....a way of claiming land and running you off thru legal channels...they know the poorer areas at one time are now the closest areas to downtown so they'll tax you out

Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 PM

18,153 posts, read 25,377,179 times
I was just playing devil's advocate.... as usual
I want to get a bumper sticker for my car that says: "I only vote to cancel your vote"

Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM

568 posts, read 903,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
"gentrification"....yeah right....Metro picked areas "perceived" to be tough to the average person...

If they run the rail thru Sunnyside and 5th ward...now we're talking

again.."gentrification"....a way of claiming land and running you off thru legal channels...they know the poorer areas at one time are now the closest areas to downtown so they'll tax you out
Yeah and I happen to live in one of the areas and I am all for it. The efficient growth of a city is more important than low income families keeping their houses that are in prime locations. The money generated from rising property taxes is very beneficial to the city. The reconstruction of these neighborhoods coincidentally provides jobs for some of the former residents. If the neighborhood you live in becomes a prime location and you get priced out from property taxes then so be it. It's not unfair or unethical; it's just unfortunate and part of life.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,157,200 times
A lot of affluent neighborhoods and their constituents don't want METRO in their neighborhood because it brings undesirables in and lowers their property values. Isn't this the common argument? Well, folks, turns out the people making your food might need a way to your neighborhood, unless you would like to drive to theirs. Plus, it should be very obvious that people in lower income areas are infinitely more likely to use public transit. This is why most of Greater Houston hasn't experienced METRO rail.

Once it reaches the wealthier population (that would be the suburbs in America) and it's more implemented as they see fit, the majority of the complaining will stop. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but wheels and grease cost money. Also, as pointed out, the city is relatively fiscally conservative when it comes to infrastructure spending; essentially, Houston is much more reactive than proactive and waits until the problem has occurred, instead of beforehand, and that works for many people here, but it's a double-edged sword.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 09-03-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 PM

What's the point of having a government if everybody got what they paid in taxes?
Privatize everything and let the market decide

Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 PM

785 posts, read 1,237,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What's the point of having a government if everybody got what they paid in taxes?
Privatize everything and let the market decide
I can't wait to pay for my own roads that no one else can use. There'll never be any traffic!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I can't wait to pay for my own roads that no one else can use. There'll never be any traffic!
Based on this webpage it costs $2.5-$6 per square foot to pave a driveway (not as good as a road)
Only 1 mile that is 10ft wide is gonna cost a minimum of $52800 .... that's assuming that you already own the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: