Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times

Advertisements

Well if you don't want cookie-cutter box houses, and need to stay in that general area, I keep pushing the hoods of Meadowcreek and Glenbrook.

I just have a couple of Meadowcreek pictures, (some mid-century moderns) not a lot to really show that area:

MacKie & Kamrath design

More of Glenbrook, which I have posted some of these before:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
You know a lot of us just don't have the stereotype accent that people expect of Texans. I am a native of Houston and people often ask me where I am from because of the lack of an accent. Now if you meet someone from West Texas - they've got the accent you are looking for. :-)

Old 11-24-2007, 05:18 PM

197 posts, read 261,669 times
Default I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You know a lot of us just don't have the stereotype accent that people expect of Texans. I am a native of Houston and people often ask me where I am from because of the lack of an accent. Now if you meet someone from West Texas - they've got the accent you are looking for. :-)
Yeah, it's so true. I know very few native Houstonians (including myself) who have a Texas accent. I am vocal music performance student at BU and people can't tell that I've ever even BEEN to Texas. Every time I meet someone new and I tell them from Texas, the person says "...but you don't have the accent"! Hahaha! I also have a native Houstonian friend who goes to BU with me for vocal performance, and she doesn't have an accent either. One day in class our teacher commented that we had the most neutral (least regional) accents out of the class of about 15 people.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Clear Lake City is still inside the Houston city limits. It used to be its own unincorporated suburb until Houston annexed it in the '80s. Or something. Property taxes are high. 3.2% for '06 but they were 2.9% for '07. Lots here are generally 7-14,000 sq ft. I've found most people down to earth but there are a few snobs here and there. Coming from LA, you'd likely think those folks have no clue what it means to be ''rich''. Check zip code 77059 regarding that.

We are dealing with somewhat winter-weather now. Maybe crank it down 5-10 degrees and add a little wind. Maybe once every other year we'll have ice one morning and there will be a 27 car pile up. Stay home, we can't drive on ice. But the sunny days are great. The air stays clean this time of year. Just wait until the summer with sweaty 115 heat indices and "purple" air quality warnings.

You'll find the Texan accent soon enough! We're a part of East Texas, roughly from Galveston to College Station to DFW. Some people in this region have the Deep South, Anglo-American-Southern accent...from here to North Carolina and south. Some of these folks settled in West Texas, also. Houston is also in a part of South Texas from here to Austin and San Antonio to the Rio Grande Valley with natives of German, Czech and Hispanic ancestries who never carried that stereotypical accent. That's me & my wife. Some people see it as more Southwestern. It's a bit more neutral or even Spanish-sounding. So we're at a crossroads somewhat.

Everyone else is a transplant from California or the Midwest, or doesn't speak English at all.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:32 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
Yeah, it's so true. I know very few native Houstonians (including myself) who have a Texas accent. I am vocal music performance student at BU and people can't tell that I've ever even BEEN to Texas. Every time I meet someone new and I tell them from Texas, the person says "...but you don't have the accent"! Hahaha! I also have a native Houstonian friend who goes to BU with me for vocal performance, and she doesn't have an accent either. One day in class our teacher commented that we had the most neutral (least regional) accents out of the class of about 15 people.
I third that! I get asked where I'm from a lot by people from out of state. They're always surprised when I tell them I'm originally from here, and even more shocked when I tell them I grew up in small town East Texas. After years of living down here, I gradually lost my accent. I say "rice" now instead of "riiiiiiice."

Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Oooh...modster, great pics! Do you know anything about that pic 13 down from the top?!?! That is a GREAT house!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oooh...modster, great pics! Do you know anything about that pic 13 down from the top?!?! That is a GREAT house!
Is that the one with the living room viewed from the back yard? I like that one. Thanks for pictures, modster.

By the way, does anyone know of a website where I can find information on previous owners, property tax paid, HOA fee, etc? Are there any properties with no MUDs and HOA? Thanks.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-26-2007 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Is that the one with the living room viewed from the back yard? I like that one. Thanks for pictures, modster.

By the way, does anyone know of a website where I can find information on previous owners, property tax paid, HOA fee, etc? Are there any properties with no MUDs and HOA? Thanks.
I think the house is the "Dr. Prebble House" in Glenbrook Valley. There is a short write up on it here:

HoustonMod > Our Modern Legacy (http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.aspx?sub=swu&id=43 - broken link)

MUDS are only in the unincorporated parts of the county. A lot of older areas only have civic clubs, not HOA's. Glenbrook and Meadowbrook for example, have civic clubs with voluntary membership of $25 a year.

There are writes up on Houstonmod.org on a couple of other houses in there:

HoustonMod > Our Modern Legacy (http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.aspx?sub=swu&id=47 - broken link)

HoustonMod > Our Modern Legacy (http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.aspx?sub=swu&id=42 - broken link)

There is actually a write up on one in Meadowcreek Village too. I know the owners, they sell mod furniture over in midtown in those stores just south of High Fashion Home.

HoustonMod > Our Modern Legacy (http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.aspx?sub=swu&id=57 - broken link)

Last edited by modster; 11-26-2007 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-26-2007, 12:16 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Look hee for tax and prior ownership info:

Harris County Appraisal District

www.fbcad.org

www.galvestoncad.org

If you're in Clear Creek ISD (Houston city limit) you will get the school bill from Galveston CAD and the rest from Harris CAD.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:07 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Look hee for tax and prior ownership info:

Harris County Appraisal District

www.fbcad.org

www.galvestoncad.org

If you're in Clear Creek ISD (Houston city limit) you will get the school bill from Galveston CAD and the rest from Harris CAD.
Thanks for the information, tstone. The guy I live with pays Passadena ISD, which I find confusing because he is not anywhere near Pasadena. Anyway, I found a smallish 4/2/2 1970 house in Sagemont. The guy wants $100k for it and flatly turned down my offer of $90k. The tax appraised value for it is $105k. The house is on a very quiet street. Anybody thinks this is a good deal? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston