Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM

13 posts, read 33,559 times

Advertisements

We are evaluating an house in Firethorne 60 gated community. Anyone living there reading this message, what are your thoughts on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,548 times
Don't live in Firethorne but live in the general area...is this area zoned to KatyISD or Lamar Consolidated?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
I didn't even realize Firethorne had a gated area! I know the Reserve at Katy and Avalon at Spring Green were gated, along with a section in Woodcreek. It depends on what you're looking for. I know the lots inside the city of Katy are bigger due to city regulations. Also in a gated area your HOA fees will be higher, there's less traffic, but then again if you're living at the back of a neighborhood or in a cul de sac you'll have less traffic too.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
I didn't even realize Firethorne had a gated area! I know the Reserve at Katy and Avalon at Spring Green were gated, along with a section in Woodcreek. It depends on what you're looking for. I know the lots inside the city of Katy are bigger due to city regulations. Also in a gated area your HOA fees will be higher, there's less traffic, but then again if you're living at the back of a neighborhood or in a cul de sac you'll have less traffic too.

Yes, it was launched recently.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Don't live in Firethorne but live in the general area...is this area zoned to KatyISD or Lamar Consolidated?
Katy ISD. I doublechecked and the agent confirmed due to the district lines there is no way the home will get rezoned to Lamar. But the high school right now is KHS, which can get rezoned to Tompkins.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 PM

26 posts, read 67,452 times
I think that section may be zoned to Lamar ISD nothing wrong with that, but just be sure to clarify so you can be sure what school your kids will be zoned to. Some people were disappointed that Firethorne was not chosen to be zoned to the new Katy isd Mega-million dollar Tompkins High School. Again, nothing wrong with Katy High school. Just depends on what you want =) I know some people moving out because of Firethorne because of the high school situation. If Firethorne was going to be zoned to Tomkins it would have been done so now. If they do get rezoned it will not be for many many years. Tompkins will be holding the population for Pine Mill, Cross Creek, and Cinco Northwest. That is why Firethorne was not included in the new school because as those communities get built there will be no space. Katy High School is under capacity and need to stay filled by existing zones. Cross Creek will get a high school not set until 2021 and no bond money has been collected and no voting has been done. So for now the ways things have been zoned will stay as is. I will be extremely surprised if Firethorne gets moved to Tompkins cause they were suppose to get moved by this inaugural year at Tompkins. The parents I spoke to fought tooth and nail to get their kids zoned to Tompkins, unfortunately the district decided against it as demographics showed that other sub-divisions that are zoned to Tompkins will be exploding in population.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty4tx View Post
I think that section may be zoned to Lamar ISD nothing wrong with that, but just be sure to clarify so you can be sure what school your kids will be zoned to. Some people were disappointed that Firethorne was not chosen to be zoned to the new Katy isd Mega-million dollar Tompkins High School. Again, nothing wrong with Katy High school. Just depends on what you want =) I know some people moving out because of Firethorne because of the high school situation. If Firethorne was going to be zoned to Tomkins it would have been done so now. If they do get rezoned it will not be for many many years. Tompkins will be holding the population for Pine Mill, Cross Creek, and Cinco Northwest. That is why Firethorne was not included in the new school because as those communities get built there will be no space. Katy High School is under capacity and need to stay filled by existing zones. Cross Creek will get a high school not set until 2021 and no bond money has been collected and no voting has been done. So for now the ways things have been zoned will stay as is. I will be extremely surprised if Firethorne gets moved to Tompkins cause they were suppose to get moved by this inaugural year at Tompkins. The parents I spoke to fought tooth and nail to get their kids zoned to Tompkins, unfortunately the district decided against it as demographics showed that other sub-divisions that are zoned to Tompkins will be exploding in population.
Most of the people we know that live in Firethorne want to stay zoned to KHS. I guess the neighborhood is pretty split. Either way, it's not exactly what I would call a bad situation. Not sure why someone would buy a home somewhere and cross their finger hoping for it to be rezoned to a different school later

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
People really sold and moved out just because they didn't get zoned to Tompkins? A school without a track record? Or is it just that Tompkins is likely to be less income-diverse than Katy HS, therefore somehow preferable?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,548 times
I see Perry also builds in Cinco Northwest for approx. the same...besides the gated aspect, is there a particular reason you like Firethorne? If I had that budget, I would put my money across the street in Cinco Northwest. Both areas are good...comes down to City of Katy vs. Unincorporated, Katy HS vs Tompkins, Gated vs Non-gated...

Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
I see Perry also builds in Cinco Northwest for approx. the same...besides the gated aspect, is there a particular reason you like Firethorne? If I had that budget, I would put my money across the street in Cinco Northwest. Both areas are good...comes down to City of Katy vs. Unincorporated, Katy HS vs Tompkins, Gated vs Non-gated...

I see your point, thanks for the suggestion. That is also something we may consider. We already have seen a house in CR southwest, but it backs up to CR Bvld and that's why we were looking at alternatives. Firethorne gated appealed to us due to its lot size and the sq.footage for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: