Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM

42 posts, read 123,420 times

Advertisements

My son is in first grade and he missed so far 15 days due to flu and stomach flu. Now, I got a letter from school saying that if my son misses 18 days/academic year he has to repeat a year. Now I am worried. There is NO guarantee he will not get sick again (this year has been very very bad for him in terms of illness). Yet, his grades are all above 95 and he probably could EASILY test out of the second grade (not just first).
We also planned a trip in the begining of the year so that he could attend violin camp in the other state at the end of the year. The tickets are such that he will miss last 5 days of school......I would just hate for him to miss that camp and plus it will be so expansive to change tickets now
Any suggestions?
PS We are in Spring Branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM

184 posts, read 314,897 times
If the trip is at the end of the year, this is the beginning of the new semester so it would have no bearing on the current situation. Have you discussed the situation with the adminstrators? Given doctors notes?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM

42 posts, read 123,420 times
Default well, no

but what do you mean that these days will have no bearing. The letter states 18 days of academic year. Academic year is over on June 5th. He will miss (now a question mark) 5 last days of school. I do not think it has to do anything with semesters...

Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM

194 posts, read 524,595 times
Talk to the administrators about it. If you guys can't strike a compromise, I would take him out of camp. The opportunity cost of going to camp just isn't worth it. You're taking away one year from your son. The camp isn't worth it if it means he has to repeat a grade. Hell, if that were the case for my child and he were sick, I'd still make him go to school.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,900 times
I agree, skip the camp if you have to. I don't think testing out has much bearing, there is something to be said for going there and putting in the work. Do you know how many "exceptions" school administrators are asked to make every day for "special" circumstances? My tough love advice: Suck it up. 15 days is a lot to miss in my opinion. I don't think I've missed 15 days of work or school combined in my entire life of over 40 years.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
We got a letter like that once when my son was in first grade as well. He missed a few days when our daughter was in the hospital, and then he got swine flu and missed 10 days (with a doctor note). I was so scared when I got that letter from the school. Thankfully, he was pretty healthy the rest of the year, and we were ok. But, in your case, I think you have to either change the dates of the camp or pull him out, and send him to school sick (if he gets sick unfortunately). The school can mark him present and then the nurse can send him home. But you do not want him held back because of absences. I understand not wanting him at school sick and possibly getting others sick, but you have to make sure he makes it to second grade. It sucks, I know.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM

184 posts, read 314,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_knife View Post
but what do you mean that these days will have no bearing. The letter states 18 days of academic year. Academic year is over on June 5th. He will miss (now a question mark) 5 last days of school. I do not think it has to do anything with semesters...
You said it was at the end of the year. You mean November/December time frame? If so, that is the beginning of the new academic year and the alloted 18 days start over.
If you meant at the end of his academic year, then you are correct. He won't be able to go without repeating the grade. In which case you have to decide as a parent which is more important, violin camp or allowing your child to progress to the next grade.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
It would seem that the criterior for advancing to grade 2 would be more about how well he does in academics than in how many sick days he has had. If he is doing work in the 95% area it seems repeating grade one would be a waste. Talk it over with the admisistrator.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
If it is that important to you. Withdraw him from school saying you will home school rest of year. Then re-enroll next Fall. But IMO I would just stick it out as the above posters stated.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
If it is that important to you. Withdraw him from school saying you will home school rest of year. Then re-enroll next Fall. But IMO I would just stick it out as the above posters stated.
i'd do this, for the sole purpose of pissing off the school system. They pretend like they are doing it for your child's best interest, but it all comes down to money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: