Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Our family will be moving to Houston early in the New Year and I am due for a new iPhone. should I get it here in Australia and then organise a carrier when we get to the US, or should I wait until we get to the and US buy one over there? I still want to be able to use it in Oz when I come home for visits so it would need to be unlocked so I can put a pre-paid Sim in it. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 08:54 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Purchase here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieonassignment View Post
Our family will be moving to Houston early in the New Year and I am due for a new iPhone. should I get it here in Australia and then organise a carrier when we get to the US, or should I wait until we get to the and US buy one over there? I still want to be able to use it in Oz when I come home for visits so it would need to be unlocked so I can put a pre-paid Sim in it. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated...
Everything is cheaper here, especially electronics. I'd wait and purchase in the US if you can. Welcome to Houston!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieonassignment View Post
It depends if you have a credit history or none. Since all the cheap / free phone plans with contract depends on your credit history. I have seen people put down $300-$700 at US carriers if they are starting out new on their credit history so it all depends. If you have an unlocked GSM phone it should work with most of the carriers in US. So yea bring your unlocked phone to US and sign up for a plan here. If you plan on getting a pre-paid plan then I am not sure if all the unlocked phones will work on it.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
We moved back to the US after several years away so no credit history. I brought my unlocked phone (not iPhone) with me from the UK, started out with pay as you go then after three months when we bought our house (with no credit history) went with a normal two year contract. There were no outrageous fees I am pleased to say! I upgraded to iPhone shortly after. Proof of employment helps. BTW, I kept that old phone and I use that when I go back to the UK for visits.

To Hookthebrotherup, how easy is it to get unlocked phones here? I always thought it was easier and very common to get unlocked phones overseas. I have no idea on the cost differences though.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
To Hookthebrotherup, how easy is it to get unlocked phones here? I always thought it was easier and very common to get unlocked phones overseas. I have no idea on the cost differences though.
Easy it seems... Do a search in the Houston Craigslist site, there are pages of them.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
In the US we have two year contracts for cell service if you buy a phone. You pay about $250 for an iphone 5S. Then they charge you 20 dollars extra a month for service. If you have your own phone there is no contract. You can buy a used phone off craigslist. The price varies. Cell phone service is a rip off here. Though I have a feeling it is even worse in Australia. The tariff taxes there are insane. I would sort it out when you get here. Also, cell service in Houston greatly varies from carrier to carrier. Verizon is the best, followed by ATT, Sprint and T-Mobile are terrible. But, the last two are much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston