Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,642 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first post. I know there are several posts from people living out of town or state looking to move into the city & where. My situation is a little different. I grew up in Missouri City/Sugar Land, my wife grew up in La Porte/Deer Park. We currently have a small house (~1600 sq ft) inside the loop (Stella Link & Braeswood). I'll be honest, it's an ugly house with an odd layout. We bought it 3 years ago because of the location. I know we could sell it for 20-30k more than we bought it for, but I don't know where we'd go.

I've been looking at houses near Clements HS in Sugar Land for the schools as we have a 2yr old and a newborn. I've also been looking at Silverlake area of Pearland because the schools seem to have very good ratings. I've seen more posts about brewing issues in PISD than I have FBISD, but I know my wife would rather have a newer construction house. I work off 290 near Hollister, so my commute would be marginally better from SL than from PL, but my plan would be to get into the office at 7 and leave early as well. That said, I'd be open to suggestions for other neighborhoods. I know we'd rather stay close to family, so we're trying to stay on the southern side of town, but the schools are the most important factor.

The other option is to stay put, but I don't know if we could get a good ROI on any renovation work without spending a ton of $$. Any recommended remodeling firms that specialize in that part of town?

Oh, and my budget for moving would be about $300K, possibly going up to $325K.

Thanks!

Augie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM

739 posts, read 2,136,610 times
You may want to consider Royal Lakes Estates in Richmond. There is new construction and the tax rate is 1.8% meaning you may be able to buy more house.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:21 AM

246 posts, read 895,425 times
Royal Lakes Estates was built long time ago? New ?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM

116 posts, read 196,382 times
You mention that good schools are important - so can we assume that if you stay put you will put your kids in private schools? Cuz that's your only choice if you live at Stella and Braeswood. HISD is not an option (even if it is Bellaire HS). Keep that in mind when factoring in costs.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM

I checked their website quickly, and the only available new homes for construction were $400K+. Thanks though!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Yeah, we're looking at Corpus Christi Catholic school for elementary, not to mention trying to test our kids into magnet schools or a Charter school.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 PM

116 posts, read 196,382 times
IMO, new construction in your price range on the west/sw side of town would put you out near the Grand Parkway toll road. They just opened the new section that links the Katy freeway to 290, so the whole road is open from SW Frwy to 290. You might want to look at new development along that new stretch north of the Katy, as it is not nearly as developed as the sw side. Not sure which ISD that area is in, but whatever it is, it's better than HISD.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,811 times
For $300 - $325k, I agree with the poster above about looking at the Grand Parkway corridor between 59 and FM 1093 (Westpark Tollway). Traveling South to North beginning south of 59, I would recommend:

Greatwood: Zoned to LCISD with two elementary schools in the subdivision that service the neighborhood exclusively, funneling into George Ranch HS, one of the better performing LCISD schools. This neighborhood completed its build-out within the last 5 years.

Aliana: Zoned to Fort Bend ISD, Travis HS I would assume. New home construction on-going.

Long Meadow Farms: Has one LCISD elementary school in the neighborhood that funnels into Foster HS, the other top performing LCISD HS. Part of the neighborhood is zoned to LCISD, the other portion being zoned to Fort Bend ISD and zoned for Travis HS. New home construction on-going.

Lakes of Bella Terra: Has one LCISD elementary school that serves the neighborhood and a few nearby communities for now - eventually will be exclusive to the neighborhood and funnels into Foster HS. New home construction on-going.

All of these communities are anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes from Sugar Land and are south of Westpark Tollway. 99 will give you access to 290 and will be further improved once they complete construction from 59 to FM 1093.

North of FM 1093 is Cinco Ranch SW, zoned for Katy schools (Seven Lakes being the first that comes to mind). I'm not as familiar with this area but I have heard good things about Seven Lakes and you are likely to still find something in your price range, albeit smaller lot/smaller house/less upgrades.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:27 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
You may want to consider Royal Lakes Estates in Richmond. There is new construction and the tax rate is 1.8% meaning you may be able to buy more house.

That's so boondocky. They may as well pick Sienna Plantation. It's 49 minutes from 290/Hollister and we know Bing Maps and Houston traffic aren't on the same page. 59 coming out of Sugar Land will be a trip.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 PM

739 posts, read 2,136,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
Royal Lakes Estates was built long time ago? New ?
There are at least 10 houses under construction right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston