Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't true, but I figured I'd start a thread here since a few people over on haif seem to think it's happening. What does everyone think about this and more importantly, has anyone heard anything about this?
It doesn't make sense to me because Shell just expanded their woodbranch/EC campus, and have a lease signed in downtown in shell one and two through 2025, but maybe it's a new division of Shell or they are consolidating some of the other workers from around the US here in Houston, while keeping the other two Houston hubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I hope this isn't true, but I figured I'd start a thread here since a few people over on haif seem to think it's happening. What does everyone think about this and more importantly, has anyone heard anything about this?
It doesn't make sense to me because Shell just expanded their woodbranch/EC campus, and have a lease signed in downtown in shell one and two through 2025, but maybe it's a new division of Shell or they are consolidating some of the other workers from around the US here in Houston, while keeping the other two Houston hubs?
dont they have another technology center/campus on westpark? maybe theyre relocating

Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default One never knows...

Shell did build out in West Houston, it would not make much sense, unless they plan to vacate downtown 100%. They still have people at the OST location as well, maybe that makes up the rest. But to build something on the scale that Exxon is, it would mean a consolidation of all of the Houston offices.

It would not bode well for the City of Houston. Perhaps this is a wakeup call for the city that too many regulations are causing business to open outside the city limits. It takes almost 3 times as long to open a business in the city limits as compared to one on the same road, just a block over the city limit due to the revenue generating regulations the city has. Regulations are good, but they do have unintended consequences.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,792,570 times
I doubt this is true (and sure hope it isn't). Most Shell peeps in Houston (other than those who work at the refineries) live on the west side of town, a huge corporate move up north would mean a disruptive and unpopular transition. Exxon's doing it, but at least their new campus will be served by the Grand Parkway, Hardy toll road, etc. and will be right next to the airport. Even as a reverse commute, Houston to Conroe would be a terrible drive. Katy to Conroe would be even worse.

Shell may be looking to eventually vacate downtown, but if they do this I'd see them consolidating on the west side of Houston, rather than wayy up north. For the Woodcreek expansion at I-10 and Dairy Ashford, they're moving out of older leased buildings onsite and into the new, owned ones that are under construction just to the east. The older buildings could be torn down and redeveloped as high-density (read: cubicle-farm) high-rises that could probably accommodate all of the downtown staff with room to grow.

The sprawling Westhollow campus on Hwy 6 is lower-density and could accommodate a lot more staff with a few 5-10 story towers.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default That would make sense...

The old buildings were odd, extremely inefficient, bulky and weird layouts, though probably chic at the time they were built. I used to work there for many years, there was just a lot of wasted space there.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:41 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Camp Strake was purchased recently, not by Shell.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-possibly.html

Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
If that happens, Pearland would probably die

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
If that happens, Pearland would probably die
Yeah but the traffic on 288 would be sweet for a while.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Why would Pearland die? Many people in Pearland work in the medical center...
As for camp strake already being purchased, that developer probably has plans for some office space/an office park on the site, which could be anchored or completely filled by Shell. No one ever mentioned how large the site would be (I doubt it would be on the same scale as Exxon), or that it was for sure at camp strake. Just in the area

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Shell isn't going to move up there. This is some rumor created most likely created by Woodlands Real Estate Agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston