Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM

48 posts, read 89,042 times

Advertisements

What is a good area, school wise central to sugarland and med center in Houston ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Move to Houston, if you are working between TMC and Sugar Land, I would pick either sugar land or the Meyerland area. If you have a larger budget, I would try bellaire. There really isn't anything steller in between those 2 areas. It's mostly stafford, which has a sketchy reputation although I have zero experience with that area. I was proved wrong with east Houston.

It really depends on your budget. It would not be that bad of a commute if you live in SL and go the back way to TMC on 90. ( or vice versa which might be a reverse commute)

Old 01-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Meyerland? Sorry for my ignorance, that did not come up when I looked up top elementary schools.. maybe I missed it .. Can you please name a few elementary schools or zip code so that I can search homes and schools

Old 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM

It's HISD and they have magnet schools that specialize in things like fine arts, music, STEM, languages etc... You apply the year before to get into a specialized program. It's not that hard to get into a program, but I recommend being zoned to a campus that you like. If anything happens and you don't get into another school, you have a fall back.

it's a group of school SW of the 610 loop. It includes Bellaire and the Meyerland area. The elementary schools are : Kolter, Lovett, horn, herod ( vanguard GT), parker etc...

Middle schools: Pin oak, and johnston, and Pershing( inside the loop)

Highschools:bellaire and the special schools of Carnegie,Debakey, HSPVA, and more

If you tell me an approximate budget, I can tell you what specific neighborhoods are zoned to the best schools.

My daughter is in the Vanguard GT program at herod and we LOVE it! We used to attend one of the best elementary schools in Katy. We have been happy with both experiences.
We may choose Johnston as a middle school because she is really into dance/ballet and they have a wonderful magnet program. (The regular program is iffy, based on parental reviews)We may try Pin oak which has a great science program or Lanier/TH Rogers for the vanguard program. We have a year and a half to decide.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Thank you so much for the advise. We were clueless and I have spent the evening reading up about vanguard . We would love to stay under 500K but can stretch up a bit if we get a great schools ( elementary and possibly middle ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

If you tell me an approximate budget, I can tell you what specific neighborhoods are zoned to the best schools.

My daughter is in the Vanguard GT program at herod and we LOVE it! We used to attend one of the best elementary schools in Katy. We have been happy with both experiences.
We may choose Johnston as a middle school because she is really into dance/ballet and they have a wonderful magnet program. (The regular program is iffy, based on parental reviews)We may try Pin oak which has a great science program or Lanier/TH Rogers for the vanguard program. We have a year and a half to decide.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM

Also if I am zoned to Herod or Kolter , do I automatically get into the magnet program or atleast get a preference?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM

It's not automatic, but you will get preferential placement because they have to place you at the school anyways if that makes sense. You do have to fill out all the paperwork correctly and on time to be placed. Most people get into the school of their preference and I have never heard of someone not getting into a magnet.

Also, if you attend Herod and then are identified as gifted, I think you are automatically placed in the program to get serviced. HISD tests all students in the district for being gifted, so it has a higher percentage than other districts. They also give extra points to English as second language students and low income to help them qualify. Of course, they have to be really smart too. It's actually a very challenging program, with lots of STEM. ( science technology engineering and mathematics)

Kolter is a language magnet, and many people just love it. I believe they offer Chinese, spanish, and maybe French? Pin oak middle school is a language magnet and so is bellaire high school. students in the SW are given preferential placement into Pin Oak. ( those zoned to Johnston)

The students are pretty diverse, and my daughters class is pretty evenly divided among races and socio economic groups, which I like. The kids are better behaved than at her old school in Katy because they know they will be kicked out if they misbehave or fall behind too much. ( the magnet program)

I suggest visiting the schools on their magnet tour dates so you can see the schools in action.

The demographics can be skewed at some campuses if they have a dual language program, as these classes are heavily Hispanic. They are 50% Spanish speaking students and 50% English speaking students. The dual language program is very popular and a bit hard to get into.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetohouton View Post
Also if I am zoned to Herod or Kolter , do I automatically get into the magnet program or atleast get a preference?
FYI, if you are zoned to Parker (music magnet) you are automatically admitted to the magnet program. This is a new policy. Also worth noting that Parker is getting a new building; plans are being drawn up currently.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

I think more magnet schools in HISD are headed this way, because their neighborhood programs are growing and there is only so much room at each school.( but that is just a theory of mine)

Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Pearland and Friendswood both have top notch schools.

Glenda Dawson High School in Pearland ranked #109 in Texas and #1148 Nationally in the US News report. (23% economically disadvantaged, with 63% minority enrollment) Pearland High School was not ranked, but I still think it is decent.

Friendswood High School ranked #83 in Texas and #793 Nationally in the same report. (5% economically disadvantaged with 22% minority enrollment)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston