Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:15 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of you all who had helped with my job search!!!

Recently, I was offered a job with Chevron. I have proposed a budget of $1,000 for a one bedroom apartment, but will increase up to $1,300 or $1,400 if need be. I want to live around young professionals and live close to some good restaurants. Most importantly, I want to live close to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 03:41 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Midtown or Montrose. You will have to increase your budget to 1300-1400.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 PM

232 posts, read 463,313 times
Congrats on your new job! Something in the loop would be best in terms of location but I'm not sure the apartments in those locations will fit your budget: The Heights, Montrose, Rice Military/Washington Ave, Midtown, and possibly parts of River Oaks. There are a lot of apartments on & around Montrose Blvd/Studemont that would be convenient as you can just take Allen Parkway to downtown.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 35,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Thanks for all of you all who had helped with my job search!!!

Recently, I was offered a job with Chevron. I have proposed a budget of $1,000 for a one bedroom apartment, but will increase up to $1,300 or $1,400 if need be. I want to live around young professionals and live close to some good restaurants. Most importantly, I want to live close to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The fun areas for young professionals are Upper Kirby, Midtown, Washington/Rice Military, Montrose, Sawyer Heights (1st Ward)

I would up your budget slightly to $1500 and get something good in either of those areas.

Good Luck.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Thank you all for the insight! OK. Here's the thing. I am going to be VERY new to this whole adult life since I'm living in a dorm and have to buy NO bills. I'm going to have a salary above $70,000, so I'm sorta confused on what should I spend on rent considering other bills and necessities and my own personal spending.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:44 PM

232 posts, read 463,313 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the insight! OK. Here's the thing. I am going to be VERY new to this whole adult life since I'm living in a dorm and have to buy NO bills. I'm going to have a salary above $70,000, so I'm sorta confused on what should I spend on rent considering other bills and necessities and my own personal spending.
You'll need to factor in your actual take-home pay (net) which is not the same as your gross pay (e.g. above 70K), utilities (phone, electric, gas -- some apartment complexes will include these in your rent -- cable, water), furniture including a TV if you don't already have all of this, renter's insurance, groceries, filling your gas tank, going to the movies, eating out, any student loans, hobbies, etc.

There are several sites & Apps you can use to determine your budget:
https://www.mint.com/how-it-works/budgeting/
How to Budget My Money: The 50/20/30 Rule

Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 35,944 times
Quote:

Well this is the way I see it, If you're trying to just save money.. don't rent an apartment over $1000 a month. You will always have necessities and depending on who you are, those will range from $200 - 500 a month.

You always have Internet, Cable/Satellite TV, Phone (if you need one) electricity. then if the apartment doesn't pay for water that's an additional cost

Try alternatives like renting a room in a house or finding a roommate and getting an apartment.

I think you can get decent apartment prices in Sawyer Heights area right now, check out prices.
There's Garage apartments in the Heights you can rent too, it would take you a few minutes farther out of central but it seems like you can save more money and still be in a good area.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:00 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
At 70K you can afford 1500 a month plus utils. You will spend easily that much money a month on partying. Spend the money. You are young. Party it up! Pick a complex with a good pool scene. Some complexes are loaded with hot girls. There are two seasons in Houston. Pool season and football season. If I was on a teachers salary I would be looking at garage apartments in the Heights. Enjoy your young years and party your ass off. A good complex in a good location will help a lot.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
At 70K you can afford 1500 a month plus utils. You will spend easily that much money a month on partying. Spend the money. You are young. Party it up! Pick a complex with a good pool scene. Some complexes are loaded with hot girls. There are two seasons in Houston. Pool season and football season. If I was on a teachers salary I would be looking at garage apartments in the Heights. Enjoy your young years and party your ass off. A good complex in a good location will help a lot.
This here. Google apartment locators Inner Loop - find one and tell them what you want. Free service. Ask them what a one bedroom would cost in a decent complex with young professionals.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
I was wondering if this was ever going to happen! You haven't been around in a long while. Congrats on the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: