Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Sadly, this woman is dead because she put her life in unnecessary danger.

She made the decision to ride her bike late at night on a busy street where drunks drive to/from bars.

Putting herself at further risk, reports say she may have been riding in the middle of Waugh and her bike may not have had proper lighting.

She lived 5 minutes away from her job, why not choose the safer option and walk? Her boyfriend was always home waiting for her after work, why didn't he walk over to her job (5 mins away) and walk her home?

She didn't have to ride her bike next to drunks. There were much safer options.

Just because bikers have the legal right to be on our streets doesn't mean they should.

BTW - Yes, I feel bad about her death and am sorry for her family. RIP Ms. Norman.
You do bring up valid points. But the bottom line is the driver was intoxicated. The driver has a past record of DUI. If the driver was sober and had stopped then, maybe, we would have determined if indeed the cyclist was riding without lights and in the middle of the road (which is speculation). So this incident is squarely on the driver and her conduct!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:

She made the decision to ride her bike late at night on a busy street where drunks drive to/from bars.

Putting herself at further risk, reports say she may have been riding in the middle of Waugh and her bike may not have had proper lighting.

She lived 5 minutes away from her job, why not choose the safer option and walk? Her boyfriend was always home waiting for her after work, why didn't he walk over to her job (5 mins away) and walk her home?

Just because bikers have the legal right to be on our streets doesn't mean they should.

BTW - Yes, I feel bad about her death and am sorry for her family. RIP Ms. Norman.
Katy mind-set.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Just before I read this post, I happened to take a stroll on a couple of Galleria area sidewalks. The traffic was medium-light and came in waves. I never feel comfortable even walking on those sidewalks, where you sometimes walk over tire tracks or leaning light poles. It was pretty typical city traffic, and I must say, if you're riding a bicycle on the streets here in broad daylight... when just about everyone is sober... you're a dumbass! Go ahead and put yourself in the same category as those freeway pedestrian fatalities. You can cry all you want from beyond the grave that some drunk hit you, and how they deserve to go to prison (and they do). But the fact is you're still a (dead) dumbass.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:

Your statement makes me physically ill.

You are saying, hey, there are drunks driving around, so everyone should stay off the streets, not do what is perfectly legal, and use the streets for alternate types of transportation, like bicycles, but rather, let's just give up our rights to be on the road and give them over the drunks. And what a dummy for actually using the road in any way other than in a car. She had it coming.

Seriously???? Let's just give the roads over to the drunk drivers?????

Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Just before I read this post, I happened to take a stroll on a couple of Galleria area sidewalks. The traffic was medium-light and came in waves. I never feel comfortable even walking on those sidewalks, where you sometimes walk over tire tracks or leaning light poles. It was pretty typical city traffic, and I must say, if you're riding a bicycle on the streets here in broad daylight... when just about everyone is sober... you're a dumbass! Go ahead and put yourself in the same category as those freeway pedestrian fatalities. You can cry all you want from beyond the grave that some drunk hit you, and how they deserve to go to prison (and they do). But the fact is you're still a (dead) dumbass.
Sigh.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 AM

183 posts, read 380,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Your statement makes me physically ill.

You are saying, hey, there are drunks driving around, so everyone should stay off the streets, not do what is perfectly legal, and use the streets for alternate types of transportation, like bicycles, but rather, let's just give up our rights to be on the road and give them over the drunks. And what a dummy for actually using the road in any way other than in a car. She had it coming.

Seriously???? Let's just give the roads over to the drunk drivers?????
There will always be cyclists and there will always be drunks driving. Who is going to win when those two collide? Doesnt matter whose fault it is. Its common sense. Why put yourself at risk? Same goes for motorcyclists...something on 2 wheels will not end well when it hits something with 4 wheels.
Itd be the same if your were trying walk across Westheimer by the Galleria at midnight on a Saturday night. Are crosswalks there for you to legally cross the road, yeah..but is it the smartest decision, no. Knowing not all drivers pay attention and or may have been drinking, you put yourself at risk. Doesnt matter if it is legal or not.

Do I believe the driver is at fault and should have rendered aid, absolutely.....but thats the risk you take when you decide to share the road with automobiles.

....And let the flaming begin 3-2-1

Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal1982 View Post
There will always be cyclists and there will always be drunks driving. Who is going to win when those two collide? Doesnt matter whose fault it is. Its common sense. Why put yourself at risk? Same goes for motorcyclists...something on 2 wheels will not end well when it hits something with 4 wheels.
Itd be the same if your were trying walk across Westheimer by the Galleria at midnight on a Saturday night. Are crosswalks there for you to legally cross the road, yeah..but is it the smartest decision, no. Knowing not all drivers pay attention and or may have been drinking, you put yourself at risk. Doesnt matter if it is legal or not.

Do I believe the driver is at fault and should have rendered aid, absolutely.....but thats the risk you take when you decide to share the road with automobiles.

....And let the flaming begin 3-2-1
You are right about common sense, but by that logic, it is also common sense not to drive at 2am on a Friday night at all. What if someone who was driving rather than cycling on a Friday night was killed by a drunk driver. Would that have been the fault of the sober driver too? People put themselves at risk in all kinds of ways, everyday. Proportionally and per capita, it is actually riskier to drive than it is to cycle. That is, a greater number and percentage of drivers are killed by drunk drivers than the number and percentage of cyclists per year. This being the case, isn't driving even stupider than cycling? Once you introduce the idea of being "at risk" as the qualifying factor, logic goes out the window.

Btw, The last statement, "and let the flaming begin" just dismisses any criticism before examining it, which is a shame. It really does appear to me that your post is logically flawed in an important way that I don't think you will address. In essence, appealing to "common sense" is like appealing to God himself. It can't be known or proven and if it could the law would never have to intervene in the first place. As it is, the law does have to intervene, and blame does have to be assigned.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I ride my bike on sidewalks even though they are supposedly pedestrian only, because I have a fear of the distracted driver who is just as bad as the drunk one. So who is the witness as to where the cyclist was at? A drunk woman who did a hit and run?

From the chronicle. Norman, 24, was gravely injured but alive when she was found sprawled on the curb along Waugh and at the base of a bike lane sign. She died days later at a Houston hospital.

Last edited by texas7; 02-05-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM

183 posts, read 380,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
You are right about common sense, but by that logic, it is also common sense not to drive at 2am on a Friday night at all. What if someone who was driving rather than cycling on a Friday night was killed by a drunk driver. Would that have been the fault of the sober driver too? People put themselves at risk in all kinds of ways, everyday. Proportionally and per capita, it is actually riskier to drive than it is to cycle. That is, a greater number and percentage of drivers are killed by drunk drivers than the number and percentage of cyclists per year. This being the case, isn't driving even stupider than cycling? Once you introduce the idea of being "at risk" as the qualifying factor, logic goes out the window.

Btw, The last statement, "and let the flaming begin" just dismisses any criticism before examining it, which is a shame. It really does appear to me that your post is logically flawed in an important way that I don't think you will address. In essence, appealing to "common sense" is like appealing to God himself. It can't be known or proven and if it could the law would never have to intervene in the first place. As it is, the law does have to intervene, and blame does have to be assigned.
So after all the crap you just wrote, youre basically saying its a good idea to ride your bike at night...

Logical..... Car hits cyclist - cyclist dies - safer to be in car. Pretty logical to me

Last edited by bayoubengal1982; 02-05-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Katy mind-set.
Katy is probably one of the safest place you can ride your bikes. Several families/kids ride their bikes all the time. We actually drive slow and watch out for cyclists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston