Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM

238 posts, read 696,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Trader Joe's is so overrated everything is overpriced and selection sucks

Aldi we do not even need it with HEB and Kroger here I guess the people who have only been here a few yrs were the ones that got then to open up here. I got a feeling in 5 to 10 yrs Aldi will be like Randals and close most locations
10-12 years ago in northern Virginia, Trader Joe's was an awesome specialty food/gourmet store. I missed it when I moved down here, and when they finally opened a store here, I was so excited. But going there, it was a major disappointment. Give me Central Market or Whole Foods over TJ any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 PM

191 posts, read 350,926 times
Central Market will move into the Randalls building at Town & Country when it closes.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
10-12 years ago in northern Virginia, Trader Joe's was an awesome specialty food/gourmet store. I missed it when I moved down here, and when they finally opened a store here, I was so excited. But going there, it was a major disappointment. Give me Central Market or Whole Foods over TJ any day.
Different people - different preferences. LOVE Trader Joe's - small but friendly and interesting. Unbelievable wine prices. Interesting offerings - large basil plant for about $4. Good prepared food (not talking frozen). Interesting desserts and breads. Cheap.

Like Aldi's and didn't think I would. Disliked Sprouts and thought I would love it. HEB Central Market still favorite mainstream store.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post
Central Market will move into the Randalls building at Town & Country when it closes.
Oh now you're just teasong.

Actually that Randalls is pretty active. I use it primarily now. After the newness of the Bunker Hill HEB wore off, it felt too much like a Walmart. Way to stressful to get things done there. Also the Randalls shopping app is way cool.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Different people - different preferences. LOVE Trader Joe's - small but friendly and interesting. Unbelievable wine prices. Interesting offerings - large basil plant for about $4. Good prepared food (not talking frozen). Interesting desserts and breads. Cheap.

Like Aldi's and didn't think I would. Disliked Sprouts and thought I would love it. HEB Central Market still favorite mainstream store.
Sprouts was a massive disappointment for me too. I was really excited to hear about the Copperfield location as it's relatively close to me but was really let down when I first went there. I was expecting a great meat counter with loads of choice (I trek down to Whole Foods in Sugarland since they have a great selection normally) but was met with a small and disappointing display. All their shrimp for example are previously frozen - I was expecting to be able to get things like fresh seafood rather than previously frozen and their meat selection in general just isn't that great.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 60,758 times
Safeway is shopping around its Randalls division. Hopefully it will become locally owned once again and they'll get rid of the annoying rewards card.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM

293 posts, read 756,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Fuji View Post
Safeway is shopping around its Randalls division. Hopefully it will become locally owned once again and they'll get rid of the annoying rewards card.
It's not just the Randall's division its the whole chain that's for sale.

Safeway Putting Itself Up For Sale - Forbes

Another chain is moving into Texas. WinCo has open 2 stores in Texas 1 in Forth Worth and 1 in McKinney. I have heard it my try to enter the Houston market in the next few years.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:34 PM

70 posts, read 129,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post

You summed my feeling up perfectly. I like Aldi's and Trader Joes. Central Market still the bomb though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston