Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 PM

111 posts, read 392,445 times

Advertisements

Curious as to how the Champions area is for young families? We currently have a two year old with another on the way. We live in the Heights now but are thinking about moving out to a suburb. My wife and I both love the Woodlands because of how pretty and family focused it is, however, it would be a really long commute for me to Downtown Houston. Another plus for me is the golf course and a big pull to live in the Champions area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Why would you leave the Heights? Is it issues with schools, house size or something else?

I, personally, wouldn't recommend the Champions area for a young family. It's just not as kid friendly as many of the newer MPC's. You don't have that many neighborhoods with sidewalks (yes there are a few), and there are much less neighborhood parks and resort style community pools.

If you need to be north of town, I'd look at The Woodlands, obviously, and maybe Kingwood, but you need to make sure your in the right school areas there.

I also like Summerwood and Eagle Springs for young families, which are both north east of town.

Edit: The reason why I ask about the Heights, is because so many people want to live there and it's got that great walking/jogging path through it. You must have moved there for a reason, and I can't believe you can't find some accommodation in order to stay. The Heights is one of those places that if you leave, you might not ever be able to afford moving back. I'd just make sure you really think through leaving there.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:51 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
I know several very happy families in the Champions area. Except for an easy route to downtown, everything you need is there. It's a pretty area and not far off 1960 is leafy and soothing. Some years ago I had a crush on a home there that was featured in the NY Times, but DH works downtown and won't move from where we are inside the beltway. I have made the drive up there for music and riding lessons many, many times.

Many neighborhoods of a certain age in Houston lack sidewalks. It doesn't seem to be a negative factor for others often promoted on here.

Not trying to steer you away from Champions, but while The Woodlands is further the commute from there might actually be similar in time if not better. The route is more direct with both I45 and the Hardy plus my impression is there are more options for the downtown commuter on public transit.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM

27 posts, read 47,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
Curious as to how the Champions area is for young families? We currently have a two year old with another on the way. We live in the Heights now but are thinking about moving out to a suburb. My wife and I both love the Woodlands because of how pretty and family focused it is, however, it would be a really long commute for me to Downtown Houston. Another plus for me is the golf course and a big pull to live in the Champions area.
I recently moved from the clear lake area to the Champions. So far we enjoy it. My neighborhood (huntwick) is really family friendly. I have never lived in a neighborhood with so many planned activities for children and a good strong HOA. You will definetly get your money's worth in a quality built house. The quality of the homes is what really pulled us to the Champions area. I don't think you can find that quality anywhere in the houston area without paying over 500k. We live on the Cy-fair district area. I looked around for homes in TW but IMO I think TW is overpriced now. (only my opinion based on what i value). My coworkers mentioned to me that it would take 30 mins to get from the TW to BLTWAY 8 (mornings) and around 45 mins from BLTWY 8 to TW (evenings).

Old 02-21-2014, 01:20 PM

370 posts, read 612,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post

It's a great place to raise a family, but not necessarily a good place for "young families". If your a young couple (under 40) with children, it's not going to be the most fun part of town. But there are benefits to it. You have Vintage Park right behind you and good access to Willowbrook Mall. It's probably one of the few better neighborhoods off FM 1960(cypkwy). You would be taking 249 all the way down to I-45 to go to Downtown.

I would personally choose the Woodlands and add an extra 10 minutes to my commute. Why? Because I want peace and mind that my area won't ever turn ghetto on me. Property values will continue to rise in the area, so let's say five years from now you decide you want to move back into the Heights, well now your somewhat "investment proof" having your home in the Woodlands. Living in the Woodlands has a lot of it's own Perks. A young couple will definitely enjoy it more there.

Good luck, if you have any questions please feel free to ask

Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 PM

33 posts, read 144,043 times
I recently moved from Benders Landing (off of Rayford Rd and Riley Fuzzell near the Woodlands) to the Champions area. We just bought a house in Wimbledon Champions Estates. I love the Champions area. We go to church in the Champions area (Kinsmen Lutheran) and our children are 13 and 15 now.

The woodlands is really nice with all of the amenities and there are lots of things to do, but I still prefer the Champions area. You pay more to live in the Woodlands too.

I think with any neighborhood or area, you have to plug in and make an effort to get to know people. I feel very safe in the Champions area, and I let my son bike around the area with friends. I'm a SAHM, and I found it easy to meet other moms through PTA, church, and my kids' activities. Champion Forest subdivision has a very active women's club.

I have friends in Champion Forest, Huntwick, Champions (all of the different Champions 'hoods by the Champions golf course, Huntwick and Gleanloch Farms). I've heard good things about all of those neighborhoods from my friends.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
It's one of the better kept secrets in Houston. Let all the nay sayers slam it just enough to keep prices reasonable.

There are several ways to get downtown. Many organizations for women and kids. It would be really easy to over schedule your kids, there are so many activities.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 47,653 times
I grew up in the Woodlands and have lived downtown in the Upper Kirby area for the last 2 years. When my DH and I started looking for homes we were just drawn to the Champions Forest area - we wanted mature trees, large plots and quality homes - something we just weren't finding in the newer communities. We did consider TW very heavily but we just wanted a bit more character. Lucky for us wound up finding a home in CF!

You won't get the splash pads and bike paths that you do in CF in The Woodlands, but those things weren't important to us. We wanted a place to call home, where we can relax and build our family - needless to say we are very excited.

Best of luck - wherever you decide!

Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 15,016 times
I agree - Champions Forest is one of the best kept secrets in Houston. We moved here in 2010 from Katy, and just love the area. We compared The Woodlands and Champions Forest when shopping, and chose the Quality neighborhood, and convenience to the Vintage, Willowbrook, etc.... Less traffic - easier commute to the city. The neighborhood is mature, larger lots and homes with character. We love it here !!!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM

126 posts, read 240,523 times
It's not bad. But some of the streets don't have sidewalks or street lights, so watch out for that. We are in Memorial Northwest, just across Louetta from CF. You get a lot of SF for the $, but the lack of parks, sidewalks, etc is kind of bothering us. We didn't have kids when we moved in, but now are frustrated for the lack of sidewalks and street lights.

Gleannloch Farms would be my choice, but not the part close the Grand Parkway coming through.

The area is generally nice, but 1960 problems of robbery, burglary, etc are slowing creeping up this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston