Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:33 PM

694 posts, read 836,374 times

Advertisements

I understand what you mean about builders trying to talk you out of it. It was most annoying.

I have a Salt Water Pool and love it. My only advice: don't use Encore Pools......they are absolutely horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 05:18 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nantucketdrive View Post
Hi:

I live in Firethorne and we are very interested in the Salt water pool, I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions..

Any regrets so far in terms of maintenance or extra electricity costs?

How about your coping / decking? Are they ok with the salt water?

Many Thanks..
We've had the pool for 5 swimming seasons now....working great.

Coping is travertine. I seal it with some dupont sealant once a year. no indication that it's failing or being corroded

maintenance is easy. I follow the BBB method from troublefreepools.com and so I keep it very simple.

i run a variable speed pump and so electricity costs in general are not very noticeable. I spend maybe an extra 50-75 a month but i don't know if it's more from the pumps or from the cell.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:20 AM

115 posts, read 228,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
We've had the pool for 5 swimming seasons now....working great.

Coping is travertine. I seal it with some dupont sealant once a year. no indication that it's failing or being corroded

maintenance is easy. I follow the BBB method from troublefreepools.com and so I keep it very simple.

i run a variable speed pump and so electricity costs in general are not very noticeable. I spend maybe an extra 50-75 a month but i don't know if it's more from the pumps or from the cell.
same here.

Travertine coping I seal once a year.
Maintenance is easy.

I have no issues with it but you do need to choose pool materials compatible with salt. Which rules flagstone out.

and sure, sometimes the polaris sprays water up like it always does and haven't noticed any deterioration whatsoever on anything. I think it's laughable when someone was making it seem like it was spraying acid all over the place melting the backyard and the house. Made it seem like it was like Aliens bleeding acid all over the place lol.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nantucketdrive View Post
Hi Pedro:

We live in Firethorne and we are very very interested in building a salt water pool.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Any regrets so far in terms of maintenance or extra electricity costs?

How about your coping / decking? Are they ok with the salt water?

If you don't mind sharing what you use for coping, decks, and the salt water chlorinator system..or if you have any tips or suggestions, that would be great too..

How is your pool doing so far..?

Many Thanks..
No issues with my pool, decking, rock, etc.

Everything is peach but the fuzz so far. No regrets.

BTW, I went with a salt pool because of the way the water feels.

I have no criticisms of standard chlorine pools other than the water doesn't feel as nice to me.

Out of curiosity, why are you considering a salt pool?

Old 10-28-2016, 05:30 PM

21 posts, read 34,795 times
Thanks AzinWoods & Pedro for your replies..

AzInWoods--$75 extra electricity sounds good to me...currently I am paying about $150-$200 (pre-pool) here in Firethorne, mainly because of the extra charge, that's mainly because of the NFBWA fee that I notice on my bill. We live in Houston before this, and we did not have this charge. If not for that NFBWA fee, my bill would be about $100 to $150

Pedro--I am considering salt water pool mainly because my 5-year old son always have these rash each time after swimming in the chlorine pool. Looks like eczema, but goes away in a few days after the swim. So I think it must be due to the chlorine.

I am currently considering calling Best Backyard Pools, Atlantis Custom Pool and Pulliam Pools.

I am not sure if they service our area, I know Pulliam does. Been reading tons of reviews of these pool companies, quite a big project for us, kind of scary

Thanks and have a great weekend everybody..

Old 10-30-2016, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 30,698 times
we have a saltwater pool too, and no regrets...... we used travertine all around except the decking. for us it has been little maintenance and pool stays sparkling... I strongly suggest joining the troublefreepool forum.... there is very tons of information there, read up it very beneficial...

Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
I am really happy the salt water pools are working as their chlorine sisters. The travertine coping once a year sealing would kill the deal for me. But really happy it works for you guys.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:06 AM

115 posts, read 228,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am really happy the salt water pools are working as their chlorine sisters. The travertine coping once a year sealing would kill the deal for me. But really happy it works for you guys.
why is that a deal breaker? Sealing is just like painting it on with a brush then wiping off excess. To do the whole pool takes me about an hr... and that's once a year.

A bigger pain is cleaning out the big cylindrical filters and even that isn't so bad.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:28 PM

21 posts, read 34,795 times
Default salt water pool

Thanks for the tips

I am already a member of the troublefreepool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap2002 View Post
we have a saltwater pool too, and no regrets...... we used travertine all around except the decking. for us it has been little maintenance and pool stays sparkling... I strongly suggest joining the troublefreepool forum.... there is very tons of information there, read up it very beneficial...

Old 10-31-2016, 09:08 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,794,279 times
I have a machine to clean my filters and I do it every six months. I put them under the pressure water machine and after 4 hours they're like brand new. No heavy manual labor involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottc777 View Post
why is that a deal breaker? Sealing is just like painting it on with a brush then wiping off excess. To do the whole pool takes me about an hr... and that's once a year.

A bigger pain is cleaning out the big cylindrical filters and even that isn't so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston