Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Texas law states 3 to a bedroom. A landlord may allow less, but not more.
There is an actual law that limits how many kids (occupants) are allowed to sleep in a room? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 02:35 PM

418 posts, read 742,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
There is an actual law that limits how many kids (occupants) are allowed to sleep in a room? Wow.
This has been years ago and maybe this no longer applies, but I remember my friend with 2 kids (boy and girl) had to rent an apartment with three bedrooms. The apartment complex said it was a rule that if kids were a different sex, they each had to have their own room.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
3 to a bedroom - and it has to be a bedroom - you can't count other rooms. That's the most - If federally subsidized - 2 to a bedroom. Again, a landlord can set a higher bar (less to a bedroom).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
This has been years ago and maybe this no longer applies, but I remember my friend with 2 kids (boy and girl) had to rent an apartment with three bedrooms. The apartment complex said it was a rule that if kids were a different sex, they each had to have their own room.
Yeah, common.

I don't want to see a 2 bedroom for $700, all bills paid. That is going to be one scary place.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Someone told me the same thing. A family of 3 needs to rent 2 bedroom even when the child is small.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:06 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
....I don't want to see a 2 bedroom for $700, all bills paid. That is going to be one scary place.
I think you're right.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
Quote:
I don't want to see a 2 bedroom for $700, all bills paid. That is going to be one scary place.
In Buffalo, NY my family lived in a beautiful 1500 square foot apartment with three bedrooms, wood floors and everything had been remodeled. We had a backyard, a front yard on a great street walking distance to one of the best elementary schools in the city. The cost was 750/month. Just goes to show that Houston is shedding its "inexpensive" image.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
In Buffalo, NY my family lived in a beautiful 1500 square foot apartment with three bedrooms, wood floors and everything had been remodeled. We had a backyard, a front yard on a great street walking distance to one of the best elementary schools in the city. The cost was 750/month. Just goes to show that Houston is shedding its "inexpensive" image.
Supply and demand, like really, who wants to move to Buffalo? No offense.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Being unable to get a 2 bedroom bills-paid apartment for $700 isn't a new development.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
It's apparently a myth that there are laws about children sharing bedrooms

Laws on Children Sharing a Room | eHow

Quote:
There are no United States Laws that dictate an age that siblings of any sex can share a room. As long as there are no complaints, parents can make reasonable decisions as to who can share what room in their household
There are some rules set by public housing authorities and child protective services, but that only applies if you have contact with CPS or live in public housing.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Supply and demand, like really, who wants to move to Buffalo? No offense.
Point taken. Buffalo is not a destination, and that's saying something considering its proximity to Niagara Falls, which clearly IS a destination. But my point was simply that a lot of people moving here are probably legitimately surprised by the cost of rent. There are a lot of first time posters who request options in the 700-1000 monthly range and are mocked immediately. They are probably just coming from places where that is the normal range for a decent place.

Oh and btw, I live in a 2br condo that is not pretty, but it is in the SBISD MDE-SBMS-MHS school zone and I pay 1200 per month including all utilities and cable. Since utilities are included, that evens out to about a 900 per month apartment without perks. So it can be done, but you have to look very carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston