Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm in this industry, I would expect myself to side with the builder. I used to be in the countertop biz, so I really expected to side with the granite company.

But I don't. That is so noticeable and different that it no longer counts as "character & nature", but falls into the defective slab category. Do NOT give up, tell them it is unacceptable.

Signing a piece of paper acknowledging that granite has imperfections does not mean you should accept defective material.

And putting the ball in the supplier's court is not fair. They have no skin in the game, and will say no. Only if the builder insists they replace it will they be pressured to do something.
Memorize this for when you talk to the builder - good wording.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Wow, that seam is ****-poor. Fight the good fight.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Memorize this for when you talk to the builder - good wording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm in this industry, I would expect myself to side with the builder. I used to be in the countertop biz, so I really expected to side with the granite company.

But I don't. That is so noticeable and different that it no longer counts as "character & nature", but falls into the defective slab category. Do NOT give up, tell them it is unacceptable.

Signing a piece of paper acknowledging that granite has imperfections does not mean you should accept defective material.

And putting the ball in the supplier's court is not fair. They have no skin in the game, and will say no. Only if the builder insists they replace it will they be pressured to do something.
^^^This 100%!!

There's a big difference between going to the builder and saying...

"Hey, this granite is not what I picked out, and it is defective. Can it be replaced?"

Versus

"Hey, this granite is not what I picked out, and it is defective. It needs to be replaced."

This YOUR home that YOU are building and paying with YOUR money. You need to get what you like. Not saying it will be easy, as we've been down that road when we built our house as well. But in the end, we got what we originally paid for, and were very happy with the end product.

Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM

211 posts, read 289,801 times
Thanks all. I'll try to remember to post an update here once everything has settled.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM

196 posts, read 419,859 times
That seam is horrid. That's not professional work IMO. Personally I would not accept a seam like that, positioned that way. The slab should either look like one piece at a glance, or actually be one piece.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:00 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
Have it changed. You will never be happy with it....who would?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 PM

129 posts, read 171,023 times
If it's a standard design in a track home they can just take it away and put it in someone elses house if they feel it's good enough. Ask to see the model home and tell them you want that kind of quality in your home (1 piece etc.).

Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
yes it looks defective to most people including me and they're probably trying to pass off on someone .... actually maybe eventually they'll pass it on to someone who appreciates it.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
I would definitely have them to bring out the sledge hammer because that is just awful. Every party guest is going to keep asking you what happened?

When my new countertop came in with a bullnose edge cut, I mentioned that this is not want I ordered. So, we went through the paperwork and tried to fix this. They end up having to toss out the entire kitchen Caesarstone and buy new ones with the standard edge cut for our contemporary kitchen. I felt bad having to do this but it has been much appreciated afterwards. We were all professional about this and it got resolved. My hats off to American Countertop Fabricators for the owner's integrity and customer satisfaction.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Another fan of movement in granite slabs but that looks like a very flawed slab - like a diamond with a lot of inclusions/carbon. Also, good fabricators should be able to do better with the seams.

You've already received excellent advice here and I hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston