Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM

97 posts, read 162,516 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are considering building our next home with Westin. I was wondering if anyone had luck getting extra money at the design center? As of now we were offered 3% off the base price and a promo package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,004 times
You should be able to negotiate anything with any builder. I did on the house we built, albeit not with westin but another similar builder. Negotiated home price, lot price, incentives at the design center, and upgrades they would do for free and even got the real estate agent kickback fee thrown in since I didn't use an agent to buy/build my home.

Walk in and be adamant about what you want. Don't take the no approach they have most of the time. Try to compromise. If they say they can't do that then ask what they can do, what they will do to make you a Westin customer for life?

If they won't do it then you have to decide if you can walk away and then go find another builder that will.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,799 times
It really depends on the neighborhood you want to build in. If the homes are going fast, then no, what they offer you is it. If the homes aren't really selling then they'll be more willing to negotiate. I'm more concern with getting what I want (neighborhood, lot, floor plan) that can't be changed later then settling with a house just because I got a great deal on it. It never hurts to ask though.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,683 times
Builders seem to be way less interested in chasing buyers lately. There are just way too many buyers and not enough inventory for them to be desperate. Get a Realtor and have someone to watch your back and to ask questions to, they will know a lot more about your location, your goals, and your situation than strangers on a forum will. I would never want to work with a builder who will pay me to not be represented, seems shifty to me, and I would say that even if I weren't a Realtor.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,814 times
I would say in 2010/2011, you could play some ball with any builder.
Good luck now, there are plenty of buyers in the market willing to pay and the builder wont haggle too much.

The 3% and promo pack Westin is doing now is a good deal anyways. Like Travis said, all depends on what you are comparing to and also what type of home you are buying.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,070 times
Some people are looking for a quality built home at a fair price comparable to others in the neighborhood. Those are the people I prefer to deal with. If you are looking for the best "deal", it usually goes badly on both sides. I mean, these are family's homes...not Kia's.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
Very well said. And the bit about a hot market means deals are getting scarce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisEdmunds View Post
I do a lot of business with Westin Homes. They typically advertise the lowest price possible and don't much extra room for negotiations. Right now the market is hot and prices of new construction will be going up all year. Westin has already had a couple of price increases this year and I know a few communities will be increased prices in a few days. Don't wait around and think too much with Westin.. Their price increases come with short notice and go into effect immediately.

The amount of discount you get doesn't determine how good of a deal you're getting.. You want to look at what you are paying compared to what others are selling for in the area. If a particular builder inflates the list price then gives a big discount to all of their buyers, then you really aren't getting any discount at all normally. The home is just over priced and being discounted to the actual market value. Many builders do this because buyers buy into it. It's a great idea to work with a Realtor and have a representation agreement because they will make sure you are paying a fair price and getting the builder's bottom line. No reputable builder will give a discount for not having a Realtor, especially Westin.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 PM

467 posts, read 778,335 times
I would personally never buy a new home without grass in the backyard. Negotiate that in if you do buy from them. If you get rain before or after you move in without the grass.. then you have ruined your grade and will have drainage problems. Get blinds also.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM

97 posts, read 162,516 times
Thanks for your responses! We signed a contract with a different builder. We love the house we are getting and couldn't be happier!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 15,415 times
Westin-Homes have a beautiful designs, BUT be AWARE everything is an upgrade at the Design Center. And if you decide to buy one of theirs homes be cautious before the closing. The warranty system is a cra... After you have the keys you must be behind them 7/24 for you to have the warranty. Check the whole house before you close/move. I highly recommend to hire your own inspector for all the construction faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston