Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I will stop by this weekend.. hopefully showing up at 8am won't have hectic lines.

Anytime! I love this stuff.

Thanks buddy, I just can't figure out what the name of the place was either! They had both the LSU mascot and UH cougar emblems right where you order. So far there are some decent places here though.

------

Reviews:

Yesterday I picked up two frozen links from Herbert's. The Boudin was better than I expected. I give it an 7.5/10.

I hit up Burt's today in fifth ward for the first time, really cool hole in the wall. I hit up their cafe, ordered 3 links mild, Beef tips and Rice and Gumbo. I actually really liked their Beef tips and rice.. It was good. Boudin was good too. I think I should of got spicy. I picked up 3 pounds of their Seafood Boudin that has a mixture of crab/fish and another 3 Lbs of the mild Cajun. Great place, haven't been to fifth ward in years. Looks like a shady place because of the area, but they have decent foods and the cafe line had 20-25 people lined up to the door. Don't judge a book by it's cover and try it.

I give it a Boudin rating of 8/10

I will check out more places and give you guys ratings!
A boudin thread though? Keyan you are the man!

My favorite places in Houston for boudin are Burt's and Pyburn's on Almeda. Pyburn's is a hike from most people but it's good too.

Probably the absolute best boudin I've ever had though was mentioned by another poster - Best Stop in Scott, La. outside of Lafayette. It's amazing, and their cracklin will kill you but you'll die happy.

Definitely try it next time you go roadtripping to New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Burts may be the place I was thinking of. Its 5th ward.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,548 times
I think Burts has the best boudin in Houston...its dayum good, especially the spicy, which I love Burts also has the seafood boudin, which is only average to me....I like Pyburns too, and when I head out to Pearland, I always make the stop off of Almeda and get multiple boudan rice bowls in the cold section.....freeze a couple of those bad boys, and then pop them out every month of so when you are ready for something good to eat.

another spot that has some good cajun and homestyle food is Abe's in Clear Lake....everything on the menu is awesome, from the boudin to the smothered pork chops to the chicken salad...Abe's is the 'ish!!

If you cant make it to fifth ward(Burts) or to south belt for Pyburns, then a couple of store brands that are sold at Kroger and HEB are zummo's, which is made in Beaumont and holmes boudin made by holmes sausage.

also, a great majority of bbq spots have smoked boudin on the menu like Triple J's on homestead, Blakes on Jeanetta and Gatlins on 18th st.....you can also do the same thing they do by wrapping your boudin in foil and smoking it on your grill.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM

I am also a big fan of Abe's in Clear Lake. I eat there once a month if not more. But haven't had to much of the boudin. Other dishes are very good, not as salty as other places.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
I'm going to have to try Burt's. Is it clean? The only dirty place I can eat at is Himalaya.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
+1 on Pyburns. Love their boudin balls.
Heck yes on boudin balls. I love getting them whenever I go to our Lafayette office.

Why does Pyburns have to be sooooo far away from me?

Anybody know any place with good boudin balls on the north or east side of town?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I'm going to have to try Burt's. Is it clean? The only dirty place I can eat at is Himalaya.
I think so, I've never seen anything going on that would make me think otherwise. It's not in the greatest part of town though so you'll have to get over the slightly hole in the wall appearance.

What is this Himalaya you speak of?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I think so, I've never seen anything going on that would make me think otherwise. It's not in the greatest part of town though so you'll have to get over the slightly hole in the wall appearance.

What is this Himalaya you speak of?
Great Indian/Pakistani food. Awful ambiance. The owner has his office desk in the dining room which is a little weird.

I wouldn't want to see the kitchen but it's quite delicious.

Himalaya Restaurant & Catering - Sharpstown - Houston, TX | Yelp

Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Got some boudin at Burts today. Its on Lyons a couple blocks from Lockwood exit.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Himalaya is mostly known for their biriyani (think Indian fried rice, but not as fried). Honestly, I found it too oily last time so I've taken a break from that place. London Sizzler in the same shopping strip has pretty good food, but is pricier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston