Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,741 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post here. I am looking at builders/neighborhoods for a home under $220,000. I found Long Lake which owns Postwood, Lake Ridge, Briarwood, Pride, and Foxwood homes in Katy, Cypress, and other areas outside of the Beltway. Has anyone heard any good/bad things about Postwood homes? I've been searching and haven't found anything recent (within the past 3 years).

I primarily want to stay in either Katy or Pearland. I know neither are close to each other, but I'm just trying to find a nice neighborhood where my son will have a great education. I'm from Ohio, so those are the 2 school districts I heard were good.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM

675 posts, read 1,454,311 times
Those homes are absolute garbage. Go into any one of their old neighborhoods that's 7-10 years old and see how they are holding up. Although $200,000 may not get you much now a days, I would rather get something smaller with a better builder. All their neighborhoods are zoned to bad/ok quality schools.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Those homes are absolute garbage. Go into any one of their old neighborhoods that's 7-10 years old and see how they are holding up. Although $200,000 may not get you much now a days, I would rather get something smaller with a better builder. All their neighborhoods are zoned to bad/ok quality schools.

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
It really depends on the neighborhood. Williamsburg Parish, for example in north Katy, has been holding up well.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 AM

65 posts, read 115,608 times
My husband and I moved here 6 years ago from Ohio. We love Pearland, and you can get a nice resale for your budget. Our neighborhood is primarily employed in the med center and downtown. Just pay attention to school districts. You should be fine with both Alvin or Pearland schools. People make a lot of Pearland v. Alvin school districts here, but I'd be comfortable sending my child to either. At some point, it's more about what you put in at home and the culture of the neighborhood. Most people in our neighborhood seem to value the education and make sure their children do as well.

I'd honestly say the best thing to do is when you visit to look for homes book a night in hotel near where you think you want to live and make the drive into the area you are working during rush hour. Rush hour traffic was quite a shock for us and there's nothing that compares to it up there. My husband and I both think Katy is a nice place, but we both decided the drive was way too much for us and I hated I-10 at rush hour.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:26 PM

293 posts, read 756,921 times
We purchased a Long Lake home (Postwood) and had very few issues. The process of building a quality home has less to do with the Builder brand and more to do with the construction manager. Our house was the last house he built before going to a new subdivision. We walked the home almost every day during construction. When we found an issue it had already been marked by him when he walked the house. Many of our neighbors had a different construction manager and they had a lot of issues. You may want to talk to neighbors about who their construction manager (builder) was and is he still there. Its amazing how that one person can make a huge difference in the quality of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston