Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times

Advertisements

Cinco and The Woodlands have houses by all the same builders. If one is cookie cutter, so is the other. Same plans, facades, everything. They even share some of the same "custom builders." Same plans, facades, everything. While Cinco may be prarie with planted live and post oak and expanding concrete, The Woodlands has pine trees with expanding concrete. I think they are pretty equal all the way around. Its just a choice of West or North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Cinco and The Woodlands have houses by all the same builders. If one is cookie cutter, so is the other. Same plans, facades, everything. They even share some of the same "custom builders." Same plans, facades, everything. While Cinco may be prarie with planted live and post oak and expanding concrete, The Woodlands has pine trees with expanding concrete. I think they are pretty equal all the way around. Its just a choice of West or North.
Bingo, 100% CORRECT and I also like to add if you want more diversity go with Cinco, if you want less then go with Woodlands. Simple as that.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charris911 View Post
The Woodlands is not a cookie-cutter subdivision, like Cinco Ranch.

The Woodlands has nice trees, and isnt situated on a tree-less prairie with expanding concrete.
The Woodlands and Cinco Ranch both have the same builders. The only difference is that the Woodlands has a lot of trees and some hills.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
If you want to be in the cultural center of Houston, Cinco Ranch would be it. The Westside is the most populous part of Houston. Westheimer Parkway will lead you to West Oaks Mall, the Galleria, Highland Village, all the way to Midtown Houston. (Just make a left onto FM 1093 when you reach the West Oaks Mall entrance.) I met someone at Clear Lake during a wedding reception at the Westchase Hilton. He said he likes the Westside since there are more things to do close by and some things are not available in other parts of Houston that are available in the Westside.

The Woodlands has downtown Houston within easy reach. Going to the Galleria to shop at Nordstrom, Saks, or Neiman Marcus would be a much longer trip both in distance and time. (Isn't it interesting that The Woodlands Mall lacks luxury retailers that would be available in a similar mall in a similar location in another city?)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
The Woodlands is getting there though. Don't worry. The West Side is more upscale though. Memorial City is getting better and better, and "The Grand" Mall in Katy will have a Macy's, Dillard's, possible a Nordstrom's, and possible a Neimans.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
That CityCentre at the old Town and Country looks like its going to be extremely nice. A million bucks for a Townhouse there. Wow.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 26,488 times
Thanks a lot!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 AM

832 posts, read 3,852,920 times
Remember, if your commute is to Downtown (rather than Greenway or Galleria) The Lake Houston areas mentioned previuosly have a far better commute.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
I'm sorry but I would take my chances with the Hardy over Katy or Westpark any day. To suggest that it is easier to get somewhere inside the loop, even the west side of the inner-loop, from Katy than it is from Woodlands just doesn't hold water with me. Maybe, maybe after they redo the freeway years down the road. In the mean time the Hardy toll road is like an autobahn to get you into the city. Katy Freeway is a disaster.

Certainly the west side in Memorial is far more affluent & upscale than either, but that stops long before you get to Katy. Katy is nice and all, but to suggest it is more affluent, more upscale, or more "cultural" than the Woodlands is beyond laughable.

Look at the photo threads of the Woodlands,

The Woodlands - Photos from 4/06

Cinco Ranch is nice, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have anything like that. It doesn't have the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion. As for retail, I would certainly put the choices in the Woodlands above that of Katy. Of course they did have a Sak's 5th Avenue once at West Oaks Mall, but it closed due to lack of business and was replaced by a Sears & Roebuck.

I am not a suburbanite, and I would rather eat dirt than live in either one of them, not that they aren't both great and wonderful areas, but I am a city person and it just isn't for me. But if someone told me I just had to pick one, I would take the Woodlands and have an EZ tag to get to the city.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
If you want to be in the cultural center of Houston, Cinco Ranch would be it. The Westside is the most populous part of Houston. Westheimer Parkway will lead you to West Oaks Mall, the Galleria, Highland Village, all the way to Midtown Houston. (Just make a left onto FM 1093 when you reach the West Oaks Mall entrance.) I met someone at Clear Lake during a wedding reception at the Westchase Hilton. He said he likes the Westside since there are more things to do close by and some things are not available in other parts of Houston that are available in the Westside.
I know what you're trying to say here (I guess...), but to claim CINCO RANCH in KATY is the "cultural center of Houston" is patently false. How can a manufactured subdivision on the far west side of town be the cultural center of the city? I could agree that Houston west of I-45 is more populous than Houston east of I-45, if that's what you meant, but in no way, shape, or form is Cinco Ranch the cultural center of Houston. If you're really a Realtor (TM) to make such an outrageous claim is quite disingenuous. Perhaps you meant the cultural center of West Houston, in which case I'll let you make it, as I have no idea about culture in that direction... only the lack of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston