Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,265 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a young couple looking towards buying our first home. I will be a single parent for the first year until my husband relocates as well, and I want to live in a safe/secure area for my one-year-old son. I lived in Houston before when I did my internship, and definitely don't want to live in a condo, and I can't afford to buy in the W.Univ area. I looked at the Pearland area on about 3 different trips - and really enjoyed the Shadow Creek Ranch area and was about to buy a home there as it seemed to be a great buy--but now that I hear about the landfill, I am scared as to the resale values of the homes. This is especially scary as I see 4000 sq ft homes for 290k >4 months on the market.

I have hence started considering Lakes at Country Place as an alternative. Are there any other areas north of 518 that you recommend? I drove on 288 around the peak hours and have realized that it gets backed up between McHard Rd and 518, so figured it would be wise to live north of that area.

I am looking towards buying a 4- 5 br/with a budget of 350k..
Ideas??
30 minute or less commute would be ideal.

Last edited by bostondoc; 12-11-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
It would be wise to live north of that area you mention for commute times only, but it's a pretty undesirable place. Look at the thread called "black hole," i.e. semi-rural black ghetto. If you want suburbs to live and medical center to work, you'll probably need to up your commute expectancy to about 45-60 mins.

Pearland is nice, though. Have you looked at Clear Lake or Sugar Land? Commute times will be a little more than Pearland (60 vs. 45 mins). I also wouldn't worry about the resale values of the homes. They're not going anywhere. The problem is a 4000 sq ft home instead will kill you on taxes, insurances, HOA fees and maintenance, potentially eating away at your equity. That may be one reason why they're on the market so long. I'd expect about a $700-900/mo in addition to the mortgage for taxes + insurances on a house you describe. Mine is about $190k and that extra payment to the escrow runs close to $600.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It would be wise to live north of that area you mention for commute times only, but it's a pretty undesirable place. Look at the thread called "black hole," i.e. semi-rural black ghetto. If you want suburbs to live and medical center to work, you'll probably need to up your commute expectancy to about 45-60 mins.
You might want to add in semi-rural white and hispanic to that "Black ghetto" you name. That area is a mixture. The reason it is called the "Black Hole" is because there is nothing there.

Anyway, to the OP, try Southern Trails (http://www.southern-trails.com/html/home.html - broken link). It is a nice community in Pearland (just across the street from Shadow Creek Ranch, but far away from the landfill). Many nice homes in there that I am sure you would like.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,345 times
Just out of idle curiosity.....a 4000 sq ft 5 bedroom for you and a 1 year old until your husband gets there?

Actually you could afford the inner-loop Braeswood area for $350,000 if you think you could squeeze you and an infant into something smaller.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,650 times
That is true also. There are some nice townhomes inside the loop that would be nice. Save you from the suburban traffic.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,265 times
Well, we plan to settle in Houston for at least 10 years, and were hoping to have a bigger family. I have been moving every year from apt to apt for about seven years now, and am hoping that I don't have to move to a "bigger" place for another decade.

Thanks for the input, ya'll.

Last edited by bostondoc; 12-11-2007 at 08:17 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 12:42 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,571,653 times
Check out Meyerland Willow Meadows Or Linkwood area on the south west side close to the loop in your price range close to everything

Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
What about Summerwood? I think its one of those undiscovered places. Seems maybe traffic hasn't found it yet.5 bedrooms is a tall order for anything close in. Even the McMansions they build close to the loop only have 4 in 5,000 sq. ft. Children can share rooms and it won't scar them for life you know.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Children can share rooms and it won't scar them for life you know.

Some people have different 'needs' than others.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,520 times
Other areas in Pearland to consider are Silverlake, Silvercreek, Sunrise Lake, Southern Trails, Lakes of Highland Glen, Town Lake Estates (further east in Pearland). I would NOT move north of 518....nothing worth investing your money into. Also, maybe you could consider the North side of town, specifically Fall Creek, Eagle Springs or Summerwood in Humble, TX. Other areas of interest would be Sienna Plantation in Missouri City, TX or Sugar Land, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston