Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,910 times

Advertisements

White Flight? is this 1968 or something? more about economics than skin color in my opinion...I think most middle class/upper middle class people of all races want to live in safe neighborhoods with good schools and shopping options...

..no one in their right mind wants to live in any bottom feeding area

Old 05-27-2014, 06:59 AM

243 posts, read 487,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Do your research on the demographics of these schools where students are committing suicide, cyberbullying and massacres and than get back to me about minority students screwing up schools.

Today's standard curriculum is fitted and created to benefit whites. We're still teaching 1950s education in modern day classrooms.

Us blacks and Hispanics don't want to be taught about how amazing the white people are and how they created everything and they're superior. We want truth, not lies .Fix the curriculum, fix the problems.
Bullies are everywhere. However, sit inside an average class in a school where free and reduced lunch is 70% (regardless of race) and tell me if you think the environment is conducive to learning.

And your curriculum statement is just ignorant. When does "white history month" occur? Saying "I'm bitter because the white man controls the curriculum and I'm just going to pout" is just plain crazy and unproductive. Even if it were true, why not put your nose to the grindstone, learn what they are teaching, go to college, and do something about it.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
So what's the solution?
Part of the solution is shifting away from property taxes. Property taxes force lower income people, who in most cases tend to be minorities, out of up and coming neighborhoods.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
When does "white history month" occur?
Nobody celebrates anything that lasts a month, it's just symbolic
And I bet most people can't tell you 3 things that they learned on "Black history month"

I'd gladly trade those "history months" for "Freedom day" and "Democracy day" (Election day)

Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,910 times
nice article from 2012 in regards to America's racial divide and how it related to the housing market:

http://www.propublica.org/article/li...vil-rights-law

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yep, more whites are leaving the suburbs for the cities. And not just in Houston, but all over the country. That's why I keep saying that some of the suburbs are going to be the future ghettos.

Demography: Broke in the

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/ny...poor.html?_r=0

Pushing poor people to the suburbs is bad for the environment | Grist

Poverty in the suburbs: Hidden and growing - CBS News
I agree with you somewhat on these trends, but don't believe it will hit all suburbs. I think gentrification for inner Houston will continue and parts will get nicer, (provided they aren't too close to the rail yards or ship channel), and that they will slowly get worse once you start heading outward. What I also see happening though is at a certain point, somewhere between 610 and beltway 8 loop, where the worst areas will form if they haven't already in the past 10-15 years, you will hit a point where it starts to slowly get nicer again. (It's already happening/happened in some parts, but I think it will continue to do so elsewhere). Once you reach 99, pretty much from Sugarland, all the way to Kingwood when it's completed, will have middle to upper middle class homes along it for the most part. So to add to your point, I think there will be two well-to-do areas in Houston, the city's core, (which along with many other demographics will probably house most of the city's wealthy elite), and a very far reaching ring of upper middle class to somewhat wealthy neighborhoods way outside the city along or outside grand parkway. The middle ring I've yet to describe is where I foresee most of the exisiting or new bad areas cropping up within, with the exception of being north of westpark tollway all the way up to around i-10 where Memoria & Spring Branch are located, as the city's wealth epicenter appears to be west loop according to median home prices and incomes.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:18 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
nice article from 2012 in regards to America's racial divide and how it related to the housing market:

Living Apart: How the Government Betrayed a Landmark Civil Rights Law - ProPublica
That's a very good article. From that link, Nixon had this absolutely correct:

Quote:
In a 1972 "eyes only" memo to Ehrlichman and H.R. Haldeman, another aide, Nixon explained his position. "I am convinced that while legal segregation is totally wrong that forced integration of housing or education is just as wrong," he wrote.
Segregation IS a bad thing, but the government should have no business dictating who my neighbor is via forced integration.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:25 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
forced integration is what killed alot of schools and neighborhoods

If they would've enforced separate but equal better no telling how things would've turned out...another problem is HISD and other districts lied about integrating as they used hispanics as whites to claim they were integrating certain schools

once they enforced integration it was downright atrocious as they started carving out lines in black areas to fulfill quotas...Acres Homes is zoned to Aldine ISD, Klein ISD and HISD but the community had 2 high schools at one time...areas such as Klein did not want them which quickly led to Klein Forest being built as there are 2 other schools in Acres Homes which means those kids did not really integrate with Klein ISD until high school

The problem with white flight is that they build, others follow, they run and repeat the same process....reverse white flight is a joke as they're moving back but not committing to the community like they did in the past

As for the comment about certain parts of Houston...SW Houston will turn quick also as it offers the best access and is not caught in between industrial areas, etc...and I mean from 610 to the Beltway

Old 05-27-2014, 01:09 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
forced integration is what killed alot of schools and neighborhoods

If they would've enforced separate but equal better no telling how things would've turned out...another problem is HISD and other districts lied about integrating as they used hispanics as whites to claim they were integrating certain schools

once they enforced integration it was downright atrocious as they started carving out lines in black areas to fulfill quotas...Acres Homes is zoned to Aldine ISD, Klein ISD and HISD but the community had 2 high schools at one time...areas such as Klein did not want them which quickly led to Klein Forest being built as there are 2 other schools in Acres Homes which means those kids did not really integrate with Klein ISD until high school

The problem with white flight is that they build, others follow, they run and repeat the same process....reverse white flight is a joke as they're moving back but not committing to the community like they did in the past

As for the comment about certain parts of Houston...SW Houston will turn quick also as it offers the best access and is not caught in between industrial areas, etc...and I mean from 610 to the Beltway
Can you elaborate on that, what do you mean by they don't committ to the community? The neighborhoods that have gone through gentrification The Heights, Midtown(fourth ward) Neartown(montrose), Westbury, don't seem to have that problem.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
they don't send their kids to the local schools...maybe elementary but after that it's a free-for-all...I don't see them in the little leagues, etc...you rarely see some outside

I don't count the Heights as a true gentrification....it had a culture of its own way back....when I think of gentrification I look at maybe a 4th ward as it went from black to white....

Westbury isn't exactly back...the main artery on Chimney Rock is void of maybe a few places but it caters to more minorities than anything...the housing side has somewhat rebounded but the overall development is lacking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston