Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:02 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

A guy I work with told me that when he gets a jury summons, he throws it out and doesn't go. He recently (for the first time) received a failed to appear jury summons and asked me if anything will happen to him if he throws this one out and doesn't go. Anybody know?

Yeah I do think he should go and serve his jury duty but then I guess if someone I knew were on trial, I'd want them to have people on their jury who didn't mind being there - so probably better someone like him doesn't go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I heard that some people throw out summons, and go away with it. How the court can prove that the summons were received? It's a regular mail, and mail get lost or misplaced, right?
But it also can happen like here:
Legally Speaking: Jury service — doing justice for Texas | Southeast Texas Record

and here are exemptions:
http://www.txcourts.gov/tjc/juryinfo/exemption.asp

Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Unless the summons is sent certified mail, they can't prove you received it. Montgomery County sends them regular mail, so...

Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
I have been throwing mine away for ages. I think Texas justice is a joke.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
So you only want people who desire to be on a jury judging your case? Good luck with a bunch of bored senior citizens and angry people trying to be objective.

I have thought being called out for jury duty was a pain. But after sitting on a couple juries I was glad I did, and I will again. I've seen multiple instances of "I don't like the way he looks" and "that's how them people are" said by my fellow jurors...of course going across cultural lines. As well as Jurors who were happy just about the free lunches, and extended trials because it kept them busy (because they were retired or not working).

God forbid, but if I came up in front of a jury I would want them to be as objective & impartial as possible. So my thought was as much as I didn't want to be there, there were far worse jury candidates in the area.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
I had jury duty back in January first one for the new yr they must have called 700 people that day. I got called for a selection when everyone heard the trial was gonna last a week nobody want to be on that trail everyone was saying they could not be fair LOL. I am sorry if you have every been on a trial 3 days or longer what a waste of time it is. They said if you skip jury duty they never do anything they are trying to change this they want to fine you big time or maybe community service. It is illegal to force you to do something against your will even jury duty

Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ I kind of agree with you that letting incompetent amateurs decide the fates of accused persons is injustice.

Here is an interesting article about jurors and jury selection:
ShowArticle - DecisionQuest

Old 06-15-2014, 12:47 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Beside, I'm not aware of employers that withhold pay for being on a jury. Longer than a week or two would suck, but karma would be worse.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
i was receiving harris county jury summons under the wrong name (close, but not my legal name) and to the wrong address 2-3 times a year nearly evey year for the past 5. i appeared a few times, got selected and went through a trial once and each time tried to correct my info by letting them now. they never bothered to correct it. when the people at the address they send my summons to let me know i have a new one i now tell them to toss it. its ridiculous. after serving or being summoned a certain number of times they are supposed to leave you off the list for the rest of the year, but i must just be that good

the name and address is supposed to be tied to my voters registration and/or DL. my DL has been correct for the past 10+ years. state of Texas is never going to get my voters registration right. at this point im pretty sure its purposefully done. correct the name, now address is wrong, correct address now last name and middle name are juxtaposed. last presidential election is probably the last time i'll ever be able to vote in this state because they cant get the registration straight

the system can go shoot itself in the foot for all i care. if they stared trying to fine people id go ahead and get a lawyer and fight it its so broken

also - well known fact amongst court advocates and attorneys - if you ever find yourself in real trouble waive your right to a jury trial. the judge is going to be less biased - probably even in texas and southern districts

Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Beside, I'm not aware of employers that withhold pay for being on a jury. Longer than a week or two would suck, but karma would be worse.
I don't get paid from my employer if I go to jury duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: