Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 912 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional woman who is relocating to Houston soon. I need some advice from the natives. I currently do not have a vehicle and want to live in a city center that will allow me to have access to public transportation. I have a bicycle. I love downtown living and I'm not particularly picky. I'm not yet employed because I'll be living on savings for a little while (I plan to buy a car eventually, but I won't have one for the first six months or so.)

The only places I'm familiar with in Houston are the museum district, medical center, and Montrose. I'd love to live somewhere where there's some culture, even if it's a bit dirty.

Any ideas on where to begin? I've been Googling and reading for days and much of the information out there is confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM

222 posts, read 418,166 times
I moved here from Minneapolis six months ago. From what I have seen, Houston is NOT a biker friendly city. Public transportation is limited and probably functional only in the downtown area. Car is almost a necessity unless you live in an area where your amenities are nearby.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM

22 posts, read 79,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaecikae View Post
I'm a young professional woman who is relocating to Houston soon. I need some advice from the natives. I currently do not have a vehicle and want to live in a city center that will allow me to have access to public transportation. I have a bicycle. I love downtown living and I'm not particularly picky. I'm not yet employed because I'll be living on savings for a little while (I plan to buy a car eventually, but I won't have one for the first six months or so.)

The only places I'm familiar with in Houston are the museum district, medical center, and Montrose. I'd love to live somewhere where there's some culture, even if it's a bit dirty.

Any ideas on where to begin? I've been Googling and reading for days and much of the information out there is confusing.
A car is not necessary if you live inside the loop. try living in the Heights or Montrose area b/c it's all walkable. Look on Craigslist and roomate.com b/c people rent out converted garages, extra rooms, duplexes all which are popular in the area. Bus service allows you to board with your bike (they strap it infront), and the train is expanding as well. Good luck and welcome to H-town you'll love our summers!!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaecikae View Post

I agree with the other poster, the Heights and Montrose areas are your best bet. If you're not picking about being in a new place, you'll be able to find a place that will meet your social and transportation needs.

Welcome to Houston!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: