Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:39 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
HUGE fight in NY over requiring Uber and Lyft drivers to have chauffeur's licenses.

Ronnie
Not just New York. London is having a big fight. Pretty much everywhere in the world is.

As for how Uber and Lyft work. I am sure they have websites. If you google Uber there is tons of info about taxi companies trying to fight them. It is quite interesting to be honest. I am glad to see taxi's disappear. Their service is crap and they over charge. Not to mention when you are in a foreign country they really try to *********. When I was in Hungary one cabbie wanted to charge me 80 dollars for a 5 minute cab ride. I threw him a 20 and told him to go screw himself. He threatened to get the police. I just wanted into the bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:43 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
I've thought about signing up to be a driver in my off time, but there isn't enough of that. I think it'd be fun to do it every once in awhile and as your driving give a little houston play by play unofficial tour guiding. look good and i bet you'd get some tips. user base is still young technologically inclinced types (i think) that i wouldnt be scared of picking anyone up.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I've thought about signing up to be a driver in my off time, but there isn't enough of that. I think it'd be fun to do it every once in awhile and as your driving give a little houston play by play unofficial tour guiding. look good and i bet you'd get some tips. user base is still young technologically inclinced types (i think) that i wouldnt be scared of picking anyone up.
I don't know why anyone would user their personal vehicle (and it must be nice/newer per Uber) and put wear, tear, miles, to drive around strangers and then dealing with drunks after the bars close. Screw that. I think it's a good idea, I would just not be doing the driving.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:18 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
i think the general philosophy was for people to get registered and when they are out anyways, also pick up others. ive not really looked that far into it but i believe you have to be fairly committed to having pretty long hours of being available so it might not always work out that way

if im in midtown anyway and most young people live in the nearby areas eh why not? your car is going to look like **** within 3 years just driving normally in houston

i'll wear my I'M GAY, ****** cut off muscle shirt. you can choose green option (prius) or typical houstonian experience (three series)

Old 06-22-2014, 11:55 AM

399 posts, read 641,931 times
I completely agree. Uber is the BEST! It is so easy to use and much cheaper than yellow cab. The app is super simple and do not need to have cash on hand. Sign up and use code 7uvs8 With this code you will get a free credit

Old 06-22-2014, 01:12 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
The local cabbies are ok but the foreigners, mostly native Africans, are effing terrible in my experience. I like that there will now hype options for transportation. If you don't have your route planned out, you will get screwed by a cab driver. Most of them are willing to go your route but some will not. I argued with a driver about that one time and told him to drop me off and stiffed him a few bucks because he refused to take my desired route. Hopped right into another cab that did as I asked.

Not sad to these leeches have competition.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
HUGE fight in NY over requiring Uber and Lyft drivers to have chauffeur's licenses.

Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Not just New York. London is having a big fight. Pretty much everywhere in the world is.
We're not as big as either of those cities, and Uber and Lyft are really undergoing a battle up here. The cities, of course in agreement with the taxi services, fined both companies for not having business licenses. They fined one company $9,000 within a week of their start date and the other company received a fine of about $26,000. Both companies kept driving. Now Virginia Beach and Norfolk are threatening to fine the individual drivers.

Needless to say, the taxi services are in agreement with all of the actions taken by both cities. And yes, the taxi services up here also have exorbitant prices and horrible service.

When I lived in Houston, I worked downtown. I remember that cabs were not seen very often and that was a long time ago. It sounds like it hasn't improved at all since then.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:19 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
This Uber sounds like a good idea, I'd just be concerned about some psycho signing up to drive people around and then doing harm to the passengers.
Or even an accident involving one of the drivers?
Would Uber assume liability in the case of a car accident or would it just be up to the driver and whatever insurance they are carrying?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM

12 posts, read 27,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
This Uber sounds like a good idea, I'd just be concerned about some psycho signing up to drive people around and then doing harm to the passengers.
Or even an accident involving one of the drivers?
Would Uber assume liability in the case of a car accident or would it just be up to the driver and whatever insurance they are carrying?
Yea, that's a reason why I haven't utilized these services yet. But then again, I have been in plenty of taxis in NY where the drivers can seem pretty scary. haha

Old 06-22-2014, 05:41 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post

When I lived in Houston, I worked downtown. I remember that cabs were not seen very often and that was a long time ago. It sounds like it hasn't improved at all since then.
They like to all line up on certain streets but there's plenty of them around. Buncha rude jerks though, from blocking rush hour traffic to cutting people off. I never felt really safe taking one of those cabs anyways.

I'm glad there's competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston