Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times

Advertisements

Got a letter in the mail from Property Tax Assessor Records Corp in Richmond, TX about our home, stating that we are not taking an exemption for our property. I know I applied for and filed the Homestead Exemption when we moved here in 2012. Is this a different exemption? They don't say "homestead" anywhere in this letter. It's asking for a $55 fee to file for 2014 and get money refunded for 2013. And of course I received the letter on a friday afternoon. lol
Anyone happen to know what it's talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,088 times
It is a company trying to get you to pay them to file the homestead exemption for you.

Check the county tax assessor web site and see if it shows your homestead exemption.

http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/

Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Yes, this is what I was thinking.

The weird thing is that i have the homestead sitting in front of me with a paper attached with a sticker that says it was "filed and recorded" in 2012 with the county clerk's signature. But when i go to that link you provided and bring up my address, next to "EXEMPTION CODES:" there is nothing. Below that is "ENTITY CODES" with a bunch of codes.

So I'm confused.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
It is common for these companies to send out such letters. They want you to pay them for what you can do on-line with the available forms.

Trash the letter. If you have a question, call the appraisal district.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yes, this is what I was thinking.

The weird thing is that i have the homestead sitting in front of me with a paper attached with a sticker that says it was "filed and recorded" in 2012 with the county clerk's signature. But when i go to that link you provided and bring up my address, next to "EXEMPTION CODES:" there is nothing. Below that is "ENTITY CODES" with a bunch of codes.

So I'm confused.
I would give Ft. Bend CAD a call and verify they have it recorded and it isn't just a web site error. If they don't have it, then sounds like they owe you some money.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Ok, thanks for confirming my suspicions about this other company.
I'll call the county on monday.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,431 times
If I'm not mistaken, Ft. Bend CAD will correct the error but they don't owe you money. The tax collectors per each applied division do. Once they get notified by Ft. Bend CAD of the homestead exemption, they should send directly to you what you've overpaid.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
I remember looking up your address before, and I could swear you had the homestead exemption listed, or I would have said something. I'm always looking to make sure people I know have it filed. That's just the accountant in me I guess. Certainly check with them on Monday. It sounds like a big screw up on their part, but it was probably done this year so I doubt your taxes were wrong last year. But do check on it. You should be able to see it on your tax bills from last year.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I remember looking up your address before, and I could swear you had the homestead exemption listed, or I would have said something. I'm always looking to make sure people I know have it filed. That's just the accountant in me I guess. Certainly check with them on Monday. It sounds like a big screw up on their part, but it was probably done this year so I doubt your taxes were wrong last year. But do check on it. You should be able to see it on your tax bills from last year.
Here's what happened...
When we first moved to the new house, i filed for and received the Homestead.
That's what I was referring to above, saying that it was signed and everything.
What I didn't realize is that you then need to file further paperwork with the county to get the exemption!
I called and after some back and forth with a total biatch at the fort bend county office, I was able to get the form info from her, filled it out and faxed it in last monday. I haven't heard anything yet and my account hasn't been updated on their website (the link posted earlier in this thread).

Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM

77 posts, read 282,612 times
It does take time to get the info updated on this site. Mine took 2 months, but I was able to get the exemption for the previous year as well as 2014 (thought I had filed that after closing, but apparently I didn't) Not sure if it's just an update issue or it takes time for them to process the exemption. I thinking it takes time to process the exemption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: