Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
They will be high-end apartments serving the Energy Corridor / Memorial City job growth. Complexes like this rarely have many children of school age, as the folks who can afford to rent there also can afford to pay a Katy-level mortgage (meaning a decent home with decent schools).
Actually this apartment complex is slated to burst at the seams with kids, call the pre-leasing agent and get informed.

The property is zoned to the best elem/middle/high on the West side of Beltway 8. Currently there's only one apartment complex zoned to Wilchester elem, and it's packed with nothing but Korean kids. Their parents pay way too much rent for crappy apartments just so their kids can go to elite public schools. It's no secret that the new apartments will mostly rent to immigrant Asian families as well. Homeowners are fighting the zoning because of over crowding concerns and frankly don't want more ESL kids who slow down the class.

This is an Alexan project, they build massive cheap apartments with low end stainless appliances and granite counters. If you're a Houstonian you know what happens to "luxury" apartments in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM

418 posts, read 742,358 times
So it's a done deal then and nothing can be done about it? Bummer.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,740 times
Quote:
If you're a Houstonian you know what happens to "luxury" apartments in 10 years.
that all depends on the area.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

This is an Alexan project, they build massive cheap apartments with low end stainless appliances and granite counters. If you're a Houstonian you know what happens to "luxury" apartments in 10 years.
What was the impact of the Alexan zoned to Hunters Creek Elem? Or the one in Memorial Bend zoned to Frostwood?I didn't hear much about those, and they are similar complexes. I am honestly asking because my friends never talked about them. One positive is, Alexan doesn't allow multi-family within the same unit. So that,along with higher rents,should keep it more executive housing vs. families. One thing about Wilchester folks, they can work things up to mass hysteria,and they turn out to be nothing. ie Twin Peaks.

Newer is better imho. The units behind MCM are slated to go down soon, so I guess Bunker Hill Elem or Frostwood will be dealing with similar issues. Many along Tully need to be redeveloped. There are some pretty seedy looking townhouses east of the Beltway, but they are privately owned for rental,so that won't happen.

Seems to me Memorial Middle School is the one school that will be affcted the most with all these complexes east of Kirkwood redeveloping or being added.

If these new complexes do cause a massive influx of kids, which I kinda doubt will happen until they start to decline 20 years from now, SBISD will reshuffle. Remember Stratford zoning used to go all the way to Gessner. Westchester used to be a real High School. There was another middle school. Things always change, and that area still marches on.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 AM

80 posts, read 138,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
Just to make sure people are not confused.....Nottingham and Nottingham West are two very different hoods. They are separate - no relation.

Nottingham- Wilchester/Memorial/Stratford
Nottingham West - Wilchester/Spring Forest/Stratford

As with Nottingham Forest- totally separate (MeadowWood/Spring Forest/Stratford)

There is only one new complex that could be zoned to Wilchester but that has not been decided. WCE is near capacity so not sure they could handle any more than the neighborhood kids anyway...which would result in that complex being zoned to north of the freeway. I am sure it will be a battle between the Wilchester/Nottingham folks and the developer. Anyway...crowded or not, like you said...it is one of the sought after SBISD elementary schools. They are doing something right.

You are correct that Nottingham Forest homes are better original stock than Nottingham West. Therefore you are not seeing the homes torn down in that area.

Not being torn down yet. It will come. There have been 1 or 2 I believe. I remember there was a new build in the last sec of NF maybe two summers ago. Seems Realex is trying to start tearing down in Westchester.

Pink lady- not sure why that one is sitting on the market. I did see it was option pending x 2 a couple of weeks ago.
I wonder why the house in Memorial Grove is sitting. Anyone?
There is a house in Wilchester on Alchester that from the pic, etc seems like a fair deal. Good location, layout. It was option pending quickly with another realtor and then now back on with another realtor- thats strange.

Anyway, Nottingham, Wilchester are great hoods that foster community.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:09 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I don't know but here's my take. Its small, dated and what updates they have done are very personal. Its also in a flood plain which means any addition will likely have to have the new slab elevated 10 or so inches above the existing slab and any renovation that exceeds 50% of the structure HCAD appraisal will cause the property to lose its grandfathering, in short, the work won't be permitted.

Given the size and condition of the property, these are severe restrictions.
My bad, the house looks like its just outside the 100yr flood plain.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:23 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,893 times
Excellent. Maybe I can swoop.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 AM

Had my eye on Alchester too.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Excellent. Maybe I can swoop.
Worth a shot, it is on a cut through street.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Which one - Alchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston