Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 4,648 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I may be moving to Houston over the next several weeks for new job opportunity. I am 25, male and single and am looking for recommendations on areas to look at. I am considering a 1 bedroom or a studio. I am from the NY area and am willing to pay up to $1400/month.

The only area I have seen so far was the downtown area. I really have no idea about neighborhoods here so if anyone can give me any starting points about where to consider.

If anyone has any suggestions for a real estate broker or agent to use, that would be helpful too.

My timing is very quick so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
If you are working downtown Midtown may be a good fit.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 AM

I have been getting many suggestions for Midtown and it appears to be a great area. Anyone else with some ideas on neighborhoods or real estate brokers? I am trying to schedule a bunch of viewings over a few days and head down there as early as next week to decide on an apartment. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 PM

98 posts, read 204,290 times
if you want an apartment, I would yelp some apartment locator services and find a highly rated one to show you around. If you are a single, young guy and you want an apartment, I would say midtown for sure, since it's close to downtown. Upper Kirby and West University near Rice Village would be cool too if you want more ideas. Lastly, Washington Avenue and Apartments off Memorial are nice if you are a runner and want good access to a nice trail.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Hope you know that Houston is a spread-out, car-centric city with extremely limited public transportation.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I am aware that Houston is spread out and that I will probably need a car.

What about safety? I thought that the Midtown area was not too huge and was overall safe, but as I have been looking into it, there have been different views on which parts of Midtown and the surrounding areas are safer than others. I have seen many say that living more North as possible is safest in the neighborhood. I'm not sure how true or correct this is, but any ideas on this would be awesome.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:59 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
There is property crime in Midtown like everywhere, I wouldn't leave valuables in your car as they might get snatched, but its not like you are going to get gunned down in the street or anything.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
No, living North is not the safest. There are safe communities on every side of town - best advise is to try and live near your workplace if possible. Traffic is bad and the less commute the better.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
Check out Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com and Jackie Zhel, properties go incredibly fast so I'd suggest to get in touch with a real estate agent or apartment finder
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston