Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limetea View Post
While I am open to living in a conservative area, for a West Coast girl it will definitely be a bit of a culture shock. What suburbs of Houston tend to be on the more liberal side, and are also affordable (250-300K for a home) and within a 30 minute or so commute of Houston proper? Thanks so much!
I assume that you are worried about people judging you, and here you are essentially looking for judgments on neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You will find many are openly racist.
You do realize that when many of the "marriage" laws were being voted on a few years back, the largest demographic that voted against gay marriage were black people. If the OP happens to be gay, would you be suggest he/she should stay out of "black areas"?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
I'm amazed that this thread has generated such a lively debate.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
It's just too generic, and there is too little sense of community of any kind in the suburbs to tell. Some people here on this forum value this "hard working, everyday American" vibe, but I think the lack of community is more of a consequence of the design of the city.
What does "sense of community" mean to you?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:20 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Liberal Ladies Who Lunch (TM)--Houston (Houston, TX) - Meetup

Pearland actually surprised me when we moved here. There were tons of liberals who voted in the primary for Obama and later lots of Obama stickers.

The LLWL meetup group page says "casual attire please" with a picture of a lady in a dress with one hanging out!! Seems to liberal to me.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I'm amazed that this thread has generated such a lively debate.
I knew this thread would be a lively debate. There are a lot of hardcore conservatives on this forum. I don't think that it is a real big deal for your neighbors, but you also will have to make friends with people from the area. You will go to restaurants and bars. Politics are a lot more polarized than when I grew up. I don't even like being around many of my own family because of it. While we try to avoid political talk it always comes up. Even then in college we had a lot of country boys in my frat. They hated me simply because I was a city guy. I also find there are the moderate conservatives and of the tea party type. I have one friend that is the latter and I deal with it simply because I have known him since college. Most of my conservative friends are racist. I hear the n-word from some often. It is just not my thing. And, I live in the city. Out in the suburbs it is really bad. This is the south.

And, Perdo I know black people are ultra homophobic. Maybe more so than any race. Black people can be very bigoted and racist too. Hispanics are pretty bad about it too. If he was gay I would suggest him to not live in a black area. Then again my black friends would not even live in a black area. Those are usually very poor areas.

In the end, you can certainly be liberal and live out there. They are not going to lynch you. I have a liberal friend that lives in Spring, but she is a home body. I don't think the OP is going to really like living out there. It is not that there are not many liberals out there. Though you will have trouble finding any. It is that there are so many hardcore conservatives. No, they are not the WBC level.

In the end, your budget for such a big house means pick a suburb. You mine as well pick the one with the best schools. Do you really need a four bedroom house? Do you have that many kids?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
2012 Presidential Election:

Harris County 49.4% Obama 49.3% Romney
(includes many suburbs outside Beltway 8)

Fort Bend 46.1% Obama 52.9% Romney
(Sugarland/Richmond area suburbs)

Look at the boundary maps for both counties, it's a humongous area - there are thousands of homes zoned to good schools within your budget. Half of your neighbors will have voted for Obama.

Personally, I've never had a political discussion with a neighbor in my life, I'm a native Houstonian.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM

38 posts, read 89,206 times
Quote:
I knew this thread would be a lively debate. There are a lot of hardcore conservatives on this forum. I don't think that it is a real big deal for your neighbors, but you also will have to make friends with people from the area. You will go to restaurants and bars. Politics are a lot more polarized than when I grew up. I don't even like being around many of my own family because of it. While we try to avoid political talk it always comes up. Even then in college we had a lot of country boys in my frat. They hated me simply because I was a city guy. I also find there are the moderate conservatives and of the tea party type. I have one friend that is the latter and I deal with it simply because I have known him since college. Most of my conservative friends are racist. I hear the n-word from some often. It is just not my thing. And, I live in the city. Out in the suburbs it is really bad. This is the south.
Meanwhile, certain suburbs are more diverse than the city:

Rice study says Missouri City, Fort Bend County most diverse in Houston - Your Houston News: News

I'm a suburban guy and have never heard this racism here you mention.

Put down the bottle and leave the bubble, dude.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:53 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:

And, Perdo I know black people are ultra homophobic. Maybe more so than any race. Black people can be very bigoted and racist too. Hispanics are pretty bad about it too. If he was gay I would suggest him to not live in a black area. Then again my black friends would not even live in a black area. Those are usually very poor areas.

In the end, you can certainly be liberal and live out there. They are not going to lynch you. I have a liberal friend that lives in Spring, but she is a home body. I don't think the OP is going to really like living out there. It is not that there are not many liberals out there. Though you will have trouble finding any. It is that there are so many hardcore conservatives. No, they are not the WBC level.

In the end, your budget for such a big house means pick a suburb. You mine as well pick the one with the best schools. Do you really need a four bedroom house? Do you have that many kids?
Maybe they disliked you because you displayed hostility towards them? Wouldn't surprise me with this really negative post.

Reminds me of a story I saw in Reader's Digest. Short version-Person moving into new town talks to guy on a bench. Asks him how the town is. Local guy says, "Well how was your old town." New guy raves about how nice it was and how nice his neighbors were. Local guy, "Well this town is just like that." Next new guy comes up and asks the same question. Local guy, "Well how was your old town." 2nd new guy tells how terrible it was and how you couldn't trust your neighbors.... Local guy, "Well I'm sorry. This town is just like that.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
Quote:

The conservative people I know I can promise you were never people I wanted to shy away from before Obama came into office. People can say what they want by Obama was like taking them to a midnight buffet and dousing them in water. SO many conservative people just turned into nasty gremlins. The way Obama manages to weasel into threads having nothing to do with politics but some posters are here are a testimony to that.

Every race can be racist and bigoted and even more so to their own people. That's human nature. No one likes the ones of their own people who other races use as the stereotype and to umbrella everyone under.

But really only blacks and hispanics get the extreme umbrella stereotype treatment from everyone else (illegal and if you speak spanish you're mexican and most black men are excons, weed heads and 90% of the women have kids out the yingyang, unmarried waving Lone Star cards around).

Not all black people are homophobic but I think black gay people have the most difficult time coming to terms with it and coming out. I don't understand it (I'm on the born this way/men made you mad so you switched) fence but I have no issues with gay people.

I will say though in Spring for the most part if you're white you will definitely have people assuming you dislike Obama just like they do or will say things and look to you for confirmation.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Maybe they disliked you because you displayed hostility towards them? Wouldn't surprise me with this really negative post.

Reminds me of a story I saw in Reader's Digest. Short version-Person moving into new town talks to guy on a bench. Asks him how the town is. Local guy says, "Well how was your old town." New guy raves about how nice it was and how nice his neighbors were. Local guy, "Well this town is just like that." Next new guy comes up and asks the same question. Local guy, "Well how was your old town." 2nd new guy tells how terrible it was and how you couldn't trust your neighbors.... Local guy, "Well I'm sorry. This town is just like that.
Not really. I am just being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston