Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Giddings is bad. Shertz on I-35 used to be really bad.
Another bad one is 10 east in Chambers County. I once saw four troopers near Anahuac going westbound. The speed limit is only 65, when the 75 should start there because the flow is always 75-85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 PM

676 posts, read 932,164 times
The towns on Hwy. 6 between College Station and Waco are also notorious for speed traps.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 40,221 times
Thanks everyone for sharing your thought. Going by the response, it seems like i won't stand a chance dismissing the ticket. Is paying off the ticket my only option?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:44 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
It's probably less hassle unless you want to drive to Giddings again and go to court, and even then you might be paying what you could pay remote from home. And, of course, it helps to not get a ticket again if you do go back.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:37 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post

Also, he didnt take my insurance copy to cruiser for verification. Don't troopers verify the validity of insurance?

The fine amount is $200 and to be paid within a month's time if not contesting.

I am 100% sure of not doing 9 miles over. One possibility is that the officer still thought 70 as speed limit(instead of 75) and counted mine as 9 over. I am also reading online about speed traps along 290 including Giddings and small towns making their living on speeding tickets. I thought doing upto 5 over speed limit is generally tolerated by troopers. I am trying to find my options here given the situation.

What are my options here? Appreciate your thoughts.
1. Since TX uses a database that I am pretty sure Troopers are connected to, they can verify your insurance just by running your plates.

2. The court should outline your options when you call them and plead. If you plead guilty or no lo contendre, IIRC, you should get an option for defensive driving or deferred disposition.

Otherwise, you're stuck getting a lawyer and gathering evidence and all that jazz and even though TX isn't an absolute speed limit state, 79 in a 75 is enough even if you are correct.

See here:

Municipal Court - Giddings, Texas *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing your thought. Going by the response, it seems like i won't stand a chance dismissing the ticket. Is paying off the ticket my only option?
See above.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Also, if you can, stop taking 290 to Austin and use I-70/SH 71. This is less likely to happen. Still watch your speed in towns like Bastrop. These highway towns make their living off passing motorists.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 AM

183 posts, read 278,322 times
I-70 hmmm....now that would be a round about way to Austin via UT,CO and KS !! Guess you meant I-10 to SH-71

Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Also, if you can, stop taking 290 to Austin and use I-70/SH 71. This is less likely to happen. Still watch your speed in towns like Bastrop. These highway towns make their living off passing motorists.
yes this. it also seems quicker anyway. idk why but 290 always seems like an extra hour although im exaggerating a little. i10 then 71 west is a very quick route and i hardly encounter police just waiting to catch motorists.

i once got a ticket (in the valley), and called the court about possible options. they allowed me to donate to a local charity while having the ticket dismissed and not having it on my record. you could try that?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:14 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
yes this. it also seems quicker anyway. idk why but 290 always seems like an extra hour although im exaggerating a little. i10 then 71 west is a very quick route and i hardly encounter police just waiting to catch motorists.
Since the difference is slight, not more than 10-15 minutes one vs the other, I generally gauge it by (1) what part of Houston I'm coming from, and (2) what part of Austin I'm going to.

Going to the southern part of Austin, or lower downtown, etc, I take 10/71. Going to central or upper Austin, take 290.

Also, I *think* they're getting ready to open a bunch of new freeways & tollways in Austin. When I was there last June, 290 was getting ready to have a huge tollway for the last few miles. And the freeway replacement of 71 is almost done. These will all change the driving times and dynamics.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 PM

219 posts, read 331,649 times
My wife once hydroplaned and totaled her car into one of the metal rails in one of these small towns. It was raining really heavily and visibility was poor that day. She was fine and able to drive her car home, but not before a cop saw her and gave her a ticket for destroying property.

We both took days off work and showed up in court to contest it. They were surprised we showed up and rescheduled the court date without seeing us. We couldn't keep taking off work so we ended up just paying it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: