Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM

112 posts, read 199,127 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts about the option of adding a Media Room to a new construction house? I'd especially like to hear from anyone that has added one, or considered adding one, but didn't.

Some related information..
  • cost of build out with carpet, light and prewiring is about $7K
  • 13x15 dimensions
  • Most of the homes in the subdivision with this floor plan have the media room option added
  • House also has a good sized Game Room (14x21) and I'm thinking of putting a pool table in the game room and then using the media room for movies & TV
Questions:
  • Is the cost ($7K) in line/reasonable compared to other homes in Houston area?
  • What would be the approx. cost to add it later?
  • Would it hurt my resale value to Not add the MR?
  • What else should I consider?
Thanks!

Last edited by Mamiamjo; 10-23-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,891 times
My thoughts are that this doesn't belong in the Houston forum

Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Sorry, building the home in Houston, thought the market may have some bearing on the viewpoint and my decision. Moderator can move the thread as they see fit

Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Ive got a media room...I dont currently use it as a media room though. I have a custom home and we designed the media room to be a media room once my kids are old enough to play upstairs unattended. Right now at 2 & 4 I want to keep them downstairs where I can keep an eye on them - thus the media room downstairs right off the kitchen.

I like it - its a good feature. Cost wise 7K for that room is only $36/ft that seems exceptionally cheap. My media room is 16x15 and is a great size. I can tell you this for sure. You cant come close to building it in the future for $7K....Not even remotely close.

If its a feature you think you would like, $7K seems like nothing at all. Somewhat of a no-brainer, especially if most of the other homes in your area have it. Its never a good thing to be the outlier.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Gee, don't be such a Debbie Downer.

Yes for 7k do it no doubt.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
If its a feature you think you would like, $7K seems like nothing at all. Somewhat of a no-brainer, especially if most of the other homes in your area have it. Its never a good thing to be the outlier.
Personally, I don't want a media room but for resale I would consider adding one under your circumstances for that price.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM

97 posts, read 162,600 times
I would add the media room if I were you. We will be moving into our house soon and we can't wait to use ours. We plan to use it for family movies night and parties.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM

292 posts, read 547,904 times
I would add it. It would cost more to do it afterwards and you could possibly void any warranty you have from the builder if doing it afterward requires any structural changes.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,479 times
I'm guessing this room is part of the standard floor plan as an extra room and the $7K option is to deck it out as a media room with additional lighting and structured wiring. In other words, you are not getting additional square footage, just a different finish on the room.

Is that the case?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
I'm guessing this room is part of the standard floor plan as an extra room and the $7K option is to deck it out as a media room with additional lighting and structured wiring. In other words, you are not getting additional square footage, just a different finish on the room.

Is that the case?
Actually, it would be attic space if not converted to a Media Room so we do get the extra square footage. The builder is charging $6,500 for finishing, lighting and providing electric, cable outlet etc. Its about $450 for carpeting and I think $150 for the surround pre-wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston