Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 10,524 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am considering living in West University but have a job in The Woodlands. I find the area around West U very attractive but am concerned about the commute. My wife works in the Medical Center so it would not be an issue for her -- only for me. We do not have children at the moment but we want to start a family within 2 years. So, I have three questions:

1) What is the (realistic) commute time from West U to The Woodlands? I have the flexibility to start early (6am) and leave early (4pm) so that is probably what I would do.

2) Are there any areas that are comparable to West U that may reduce my commute but not impact my wife too badly?

3) I have heard a lot of talk about a "reverse commute" bus--- anyone have first hand information on when/if this is going to get launched?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,706,526 times
It will be fairly long, but if you can go into the office between 6 am and 7 am, I think only the distance, and not the traffic, will be the issue in the mornings.

I'm a big fan of living where you want and either finding a job that is in that area or dealing with the commute.

I say that if you like the West U area, and it's a terrific area, I'd stay there and deal with the long drive. I would absolutely go in early and leave early.

The one question I have is whether or not you own your residence. The reason I ask is because if you own and move out, you may not be able to afford to move back.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 AM

254 posts, read 466,089 times
I'm going to through this out there:
Nothing is like West U, however have you considered the Heights? Looks like the Heights is slowly going the way of West U...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:52 AM

254 posts, read 466,089 times
Might shave a few minutes off your commute, and the Med Center isn't far at all.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:17 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,813,408 times
That's a tough call. Reverse-commuting to the Woodlands for you would definitely be easier than commuting from the Woodlands for her, but you have to balance this against how much further your money goes in the Woodlands.

I used to live in West U and I loved it, but if commute wasn't an issue I'd take the Woodlands over West U any day. Clean, great amenities, great pine trees, and a feeling of spaciousness that West U can't match, especially now that most new construction in West U is built to within a few feet of each lot boundary.

The Heights or Oak Forest may be a good compromise - not too far from either area, although her commute to the med center still wouldn't be a picnic.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,308,241 times
I think there is a reverse commute bus from DT.
I would absolutely HATE that commute just because of the distance and all the construction on 45 lately.
However, I would much rather live in West U than The Woodlands.
tough call

Old 11-03-2014, 11:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,267,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2K14 View Post
Hi

I am considering living in West University but have a job in The Woodlands. I find the area around West U very attractive but am concerned about the commute.

1) What is the (realistic) commute time from West U to The Woodlands? I have the flexibility to start early (6am) and leave early (4pm) so that is probably what I would do.
A couple years ago, my wife drove from Southampton (next door to West U) to north of the Woodlands (FM1488), during non-commute times, 3-4 days a week. She hated it. Traffic wasn't stop & go, but it's still heavy. And I-45 is a tough freeway--lots of trucks, trailers, crazy drivers, etc. The freeway is claustrophobic until north of the Tollway (ie, small lanes, areas with no shoulders, etc). It also had more debris and other crap on the road than any other freeway she drove (she drive a LOT, like 30K+ miles/yr). And the HOV lane is not toll accessible, like I-10.

She did take Hardy on occasion, if 45 had a jam. But one still has to get to it.

It took her about 30-35 minutes to get to the Woodlands exit. That's assuming no unusual traffic, no 59 const. You have to add your intra-Woodlands time to that.

Coming back, add 5-10 minutes. Traffic is always worse in the afternoon.

Oh, and that's at 70+. She likes the go-pedal.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:57 AM

331 posts, read 489,601 times
I had a friend that was outcommuting to the Woodlands and said it was awful despite being a reverse commute. It was from the same general area too. I wouldn't do it. If you really like your job up there, I'd find a place up there. It's not like it's completely a bedoom community. There's more to do than you think, especially if you're starting to settle down with the family, etc. Or if you're really in love with living in town, see if you can find a gig closer in.

Just remember that, if you're considering having a family, priorities will change drastically. I have been through it. The work times you quoted may no longer be in the cards for you in the future. Maybe you won't like being in a place as busy as West U either. Hard to say. Or you could just ride out what you're doing for a while and make a more final decision later on. Heights is nice, but not really comparable to West U. It doesn't have zoning, so there is still a lot of stuff you don't want in the general area when you're paying those prices for a home. Although there is a lot of good stuff in the area too. It has character.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,000,067 times
I would lean toward the Heights. Commute will wear on you.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM

914 posts, read 1,840,231 times
Can your wife find a job at one of the hospitals up in the Woodlands? Some of the ones in the medical center such as St. Luke's have branches up there. It will be a very long commute to the Woodlands from West U. Just getting out of West U and to up to 45 north or the Hardy Toll Road is a nightmare. As some have mentioned, if you live in the north part of the Heights, you could get to the Hardy Toll Road from 610 fairly easily and your wife would not have too bad a commute to get to the med center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston