Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,605 times

Advertisements

It seems Memorial is always mentioned when people ask about the best neighborhoods and/or schools in Houston. Yes?

I just did a quick search on the following villages: Hedwig, Hunters Creek, and Piney Point. I believe they're all part of the preferred Memorial area?

I came up with 149 properties currently on the market, and not a single recent sale. It looked like many of the listings had been sitting for a very, very long time. In fact I ran across one claiming an extremely motiated seller, but with DOM over 600.

I realize higher end properties take longer to sell; but that seems like a lot of listings without any activity that I could find. Are there really that many people with the kind of wealth it takes to potentially wait years for a buyer when they want to sell? (some listings I glanced at were vacant)

Personally I think I'd be wary of buying there. I'm not really familiar with Houston in general or that area in particular though. Help me out, what am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,741 times
That's interesting. It may be that ever since this one person,in particular (a native Houstonian ), moved just west of there from The Woodlands (an exburb), a couple of years ago, everybody has been trying to flee.........

Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
It seems Memorial is always mentioned when people ask about the best neighborhoods and/or schools in Houston. Yes?

I just did a quick search on the following villages: Hedwig, Hunters Creek, and Piney Point. I believe they're all part of the preferred Memorial area?

I came up with 149 properties currently on the market, and not a single recent sale. It looked like many of the listings had been sitting for a very, very long time. In fact I ran across one claiming an extremely motiated seller, but with DOM over 600.

I realize higher end properties take longer to sell; but that seems like a lot of listings without any activity that I could find. Are there really that many people with the kind of wealth it takes to potentially wait years for a buyer when they want to sell? (some listings I glanced at were vacant)

Personally I think I'd be wary of buying there. I'm not really familiar with Houston in general or that area in particular though. Help me out, what am I missing?
What site are you looking on? The MLS shows 23 currently on the market in those 3 subdivisions - with 7 that are currently under contract or sold within the last 30 days.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
What site are you looking on? The MLS shows 23 currently on the market in those 3 subdivisions - with 7 that are currently under contract or sold within the last 30 days.
Aha, maybe that's the problem. I just did a quick zillow search. Of course I know not to pay attention to their zestimates, especially in a non disclosure state like Texas, but I assumed their active and sold stats were more accurate than that. They are in my area.

So even the high end is still moving in Houston?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
If I could afford it I would not be wary of the villages at all. Those homes are gorgeous.

I like my million dollar neighborhoods to look like million dollar neighborhoods, and those neighborhoods certainly do. I can tell you a few neighborhoods that have houses that are million dollar houses but the neighborhood looks like 50K neighborhoods.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If I could afford it I would not be wary of the villages at all. Those homes are gorgeous.

I like my million dollar neighborhoods to look like million dollar neighborhoods, and those neighborhoods certainly do. I can tell you a few neighborhoods that have houses that are million dollar houses but the neighborhood looks like 50K neighborhoods.
You are in a somewhat transitional neighborhood - hang on - you'll be so glad.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You are in a somewhat transitional neighborhood - hang on - you'll be so glad.
I wasn't talking about my Neighborhood. It is actually a 250K neighborhood that looks like a 3 Million dollar neighborhood. I like it a lot.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Aha, maybe that's the problem. I just did a quick zillow search. Of course I know not to pay attention to their zestimates, especially in a non disclosure state like Texas, but I assumed their active and sold stats were more accurate than that. They are in my area.

So even the high end is still moving in Houston?
Yes and no. In the whole area north of Memorial and south of I-10 - from the Loop to Highway 6 (this encompasses a lot of different neighborhoods) - it's not selling as well as it used to - but the reason isn't the area - it's the age of the homes and the lack of updating. The problem with some of the homes is they haven't been updated in a long while. Many buyers don't want to take on that big of a project. When one of the regular posters here put her house on the market about 8 months ago, it sold in like 15 minutes, but she had it in beautiful condition. I get frustrated while showing homes in that area - a lot still have 1970's formica and original ancient appliances, etc. I showed one the other day for over $475K that had red flocked walpaper. I hope that stuff never makes a come-back.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I wasn't talking about my Neighborhood. It is actually a 250K neighborhood that looks like a 3 Million dollar neighborhood. I like it a lot.
I bet you will be shocked at what those houses will go for in about 10 years.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I bet you will be shocked at what those houses will go for in about 10 years.
I prefer South Macgregor, but I have seen some empty lots for sale on North Macgregor that I often wonder about. I wonder why they are empty in the first place. It is such a charming neighborhood with very friendly people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston