Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:55 PM

74 posts, read 122,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
This is so true.
this is so wrong

Old 12-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
This is so true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
White privilege?

No, but there is reverse racism towards Whites from other races all the time.

Prime example: White man got beaten to death with a hammer in Furguson because he was White & had nothing to do with a Black thug who robbed a convenience store for Marijuana rolling papers, assaulted a store clerk, then assaulted a police officer & reached for his gun & was about to shoot him.

Little did the thugs know the man was Bosnian, but all they saw was a "White boy". Those Blacks will now be spending life in prison for murder and a hate crime.

Good riddance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Agree with almost everything you said.

Now with the different viewpoint, just look at all the recent police killing and protests. The liberal minds all think this is murder. Never mind the fact they were all resisting arrest and did not listen to police instructions. Would all this happen if they had not act like a thug or not resist?

Of course the liberal minds would say they are just nice people minding their own business and 5-0 roll up on them for no reason. This would never happen to a white person...blah blah blah.

I guarantee you if a 300 pound white kid try to punch a cop, he would be shot dead on the street also.

You want change? Look in the mirror is a good place to start.

Sure they would just like the man having a standoff with a rifle and not one shot was fired by police

Old 12-04-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There was never a problem with race relations when Bush was in office.

Obama has done a great job of dividing this country. The World hates him for it too.

Thank God he's a hog tied, lame duck president now who just lost this country for everything bad he has bestowed on the American people, and they finally spoke up & said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH this past November.

God & good always prevails.

You go through great pains to hold on to these beliefs don't you?

Old 12-04-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Does it really matter? All his points are valid.

Why are 2 out of 3 black children are raised by single parents?

Instead of aspiring to be a doctor or a lawyer...a black kid's dream is to play in the NBA or be a rapper. Wonder how many of them achieve that dream?

We are all born ignorant but one must work hard to remain stupid and too many in this thread are pulling double shifts.

I know quite a bit of single black parents and they don't want their children to be either of those things.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I know right. They make asinine judgements about black people.

All whites want to grow up to be Gordon Gekko or nascar drivers, LOL.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We played with toy guns and pointed them at each other all the time when I was a child. The point is it was a TOY gun.

Note that the officers did NOT even give Tamir first aid until an FBI officer appeared on the scene. It is possible that his life could have been saved.

Tamir Rice: The story behind the senseless killing, character assassination, and resulting cover-up

Apparently, not all toy guns have the orange tip as you can see in the walmart video at this website.
So it is acceptable for YOUR grand kid to aim a BB gun at every person that walk by your house or in a park?

Why don't you go buy a BB gun at Academy for your grand kid for Christmas to prove your point?

Drive him to the park and tell him to aim at every person too while you are at it.

I wonder what will happen....

Again you want to blame everybody for the problem when the real issue is lack of parenting and disregard for morals.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
So it is acceptable for YOUR grand kid to aim a BB gun at every person that walk by your house or in a park?

Why don't you go buy a BB gun at Academy for your grand kid for Christmas to prove your point?

Drive him to the park and tell him to aim at every person too while you are at it.

I wonder what will happen....

Again you want to blame everybody for the problem when the real issue is lack of parenting and disregard for morals.
I doubt if his parents told him to aim the gun at people, but kids do aim toys at people all the time. It is not a lack of parenting that is evident here. YOU want to blame the victim. And why shouldn't they have given him first aid. He might still be alive if they had.

Didn't you play cowboys or other shooting games with toy guns when you were 10 to 12?

Old 12-04-2014, 04:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Careful thinkers don't entirely discount the possibility that turtles run the universe, so I don't understand why when confronted with an infinitely likelier possibility--like the possibility that whites have it easier than people of other colors--there's this weird short circuit that happens and people just refuse to even acknowledge it as a possibility. The ladies be protesting too much, I think.

In my own experience, I have noted that the people who serve me at stores, restaurants and other daily stops are almost all people of color. Of course, people of color are also served by people of color, but that doesn't mean there isn't a significant imbalance. Otoh, most of the wealthy people I know here are white. So at some point I have to either conclude that white people are just intrinsically better at getting money and running things or that white people have come into these positions based on some sort of privilege. At this point, armed with what I know of history and how it works, I do conclude that white privilege is the reason so many whites in Houston have it so good.

As to the professor's assignment, time will tell. Will history books in 50 years mention that whites in our era were privileged? I'm guessing yes. I'm also guessing there will be a few people around still dismissing the notion out of hand, but progress comes slow.
Exactly. Everything you said is notable.

IMO, white privilege is the reason most of the "rich" and wealthy in America are white.

The black people I know who fit in the upper middle to rich classes are far and few...unless said man is running a ball down a AstroTurf playing field, swinging a bat or dribbling a ball down a court....or rapping a lyric. The wealthiest person of color I know is a current MLB player. Next to that a friend's boyfriend's brother plays for the Raiders, my cousin personally knows 2 Houston rappers who made it mainstrem...see the trend here?

People of color...at least my color get "rich" by athletics. How many rich engineers live in West U with the fellow CD'ers? Do they not have 15+ years at Anadarko, Exxon, Shell, etc like the fellow engineers? What's the difference? PVA&M engineering degree vs A&M? Same degree, same company, same duration and experience but one is upper and one is rolling in a 800k house.

It's real but unless we ignore life won't go on.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Exactly. Everything you said is notable.

IMO, white privilege is the reason most of the "rich" and wealthy in America are white.

The black people I know who fit in the upper middle to rich classes are far and few...unless said man is running a ball down a AstroTurf playing field, swinging a bat or dribbling a ball down a court....or rapping a lyric. The wealthiest person of color I know is a current MLB player. Next to that a friend's boyfriend's brother plays for the Raiders, my cousin personally knows 2 Houston rappers who made it mainstrem...see the trend here?

People of color...at least my color get "rich" by athletics. How many rich engineers live in West U with the fellow CD'ers? Do they not have 15+ years at Anadarko, Exxon, Shell, etc like the fellow engineers? What's the difference? PVA&M engineering degree vs A&M? Same degree, same company, same duration and experience but one is upper and one is rolling in a 800k house.

It's real but unless we ignore life won't go on.
I don't know about this... I know several black people (both African Immigrants, and people who grew up in the US) who are professionals and I'd assume are in the upper middle class based on their roles in Corp America. In my field, a fairly common income for a Senior staff position is $60-80k.

Again, it has more to do with the fact that all of these people pursued an education in a field with demand, and are now in roles within corporations or partnerships that provide a better than average salary. Their race is part of who they are, but they weren't defined by it, or the stereotypes associated with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: