Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 761 times

Advertisements

Hello i hope i can get an answer very soon,I am living in a rental home the landlord came by and said he is going to be showing the home,i just need to know if this is legal and do i have to leave the home i have 2 1/2 wks left here in this house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8baller View Post
Hello i hope i can get an answer very soon,I am living in a rental home the landlord came by and said he is going to be showing the home,i just need to know if this is legal and do i have to leave the home i have 2 1/2 wks left here in this house.
I think it is legal I have seen apts that have pictures on the internet in the listing it says not available for like 2 to 4 weeks

Old 12-13-2014, 12:29 PM

399 posts, read 641,931 times
usually it is listed in your lease that the rental can be shown 30-60 days prior to the expiration of your lease.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM

232 posts, read 463,261 times
Most lease agreements state that the landlord has the right to show the property during the last 30 days of your lease. And you are required to give your landlord a minimum of 30 days notice (each lease varies so it might be more or less but the norm is 30 days).

You can, however, arrange with the listing agent for you to be given a certain amount of notice before the property is shown (e.g. minimum of two hours). That way you can plan and arrange your schedule accordingly and straighten up the place.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 PM

465 posts, read 613,820 times
Yes it is legal. We are former military and had rented for over 10 years and before our lease was up we had always had a landlord make arrangements with us for good showing times. i gave certain hours that were not available to show. We were always very considerate to the landlord. We are landlords ourselves and we hope to always have tenants asap so we don't end up paying mortgage and rent for too long. It hurts when you don't get tenants.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
It's legal. I've always made it a point to be as helpful as I could as far as keeping the place picked up, moving boxes stacked neatly, etc. so he could show and rent asap. The fact that the LL had new tenants coming in after I left probably put him in a good mood, which is necessary when it comes time to get my deposit back. I've always gotten a full refund.

I know sometimes it's hard to be nice when thinking about past oversights by LL (slow repairs and the like) but I do what I have to do with the goal of getting my money back. There was a LL that I promised myself I would CURSE THE EFF OUT via letter once I got my money back. I was nice the entire time and left the place spotless. I got all my $$ back, by then my anger had subsided and I just moved on LOL

Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 AM

42 posts, read 71,684 times
Yes it is. Happened to me several times.

It was pretty funny when I had my pole set up in the living room. A couple came by with the landlord to look at the place and he asked about it. Then he tells his wife/gf she should get one. She wasn't happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston