Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:28 AM

41 posts, read 104,258 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Moving out of a rental in Galveston. Planning to buy in Dickinson. Husband works at UTMB on the island, but we don't want to buy there. Too expensive to maintain a home there & not a great place to raise children (we have a 2 year old). We figure Dickinson is a good location. It's cheaper than LC/CL areas, with a short commute to Galveston. It's also closer to Houston, if he needs to look for work there. From what I hear, Dickinson is cleaning up and schools are improving, yet there are still rough parts of town that we want to stay clear of. Does anyone know of nice family-oriented neighborhoods in Dickinson?

NOTE: Please don't try talking me into League City or Clear Lake. I don't want to spend 20-30K more for a smaller house and a longer commute.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 05:55 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
Have you looked at the Bayview or Bay Colony subdivisions?

It does seem that the west side of I-45 for Dickinson is a better area. I'd look there.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:51 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Is bay colony Dickinson or Santa fe?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:56 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
Part of it is in Dickinson.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:33 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Bay Colony is very popular. Close to lots of big stores, too. Actually I think a lot of Dickinson would qualify except for that stretch along hwy 3.

If you have time go see the Dickinson Festival of Lights if you like 'small town' festivals.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:39 PM

We're looking at homes off Exit 17 Hughes/Holland Rd. A small established neighborhood called Bayou Chantilly (Old Bayou Drive).

Also looking for estimates on electricity bills in the area for a 2100 sq. ft. home. It's more house than we need, but a nice house, in a seemingly good neighborhood at a great price. My husband is nervous about energy costs on such a large house. Only one large bedroom is upstairs (it's a small bonus room). Does anyone have a clue on monthly energy costs?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:22 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Check out La Marque to it is a nice little town and it is closer to Galveston

Old 12-17-2014, 04:34 PM

I'm trying to stay away from Texas City & La Marque. I don't want to be that close to the refineries and want to be able to commute either way to Houston & Galveston in the event my husband or I have to seek employment in Houston. Plus I want to be close to all that LC & CL offer as far as big box stores, parks, etc. without having to pay a premium to live there.

I really need a clue on energy costs before my husband shuts the door on this awesome house. Anyone have an idea of monthly costs on a 2100 sq ft house (includes a 3-car garage)? Note: heating and range are gas. We generally set the thermostat at 74 for cooling and 66 for heating.

I appreciate all comments. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GidgetGoesNutso View Post
I'm trying to stay away from Texas City & La Marque. I don't want to be that close to the refineries and want to be able to commute either way to Houston & Galveston in the event my husband or I have to seek employment in Houston. Plus I want to be close to all that LC & CL offer as far as big box stores, parks, etc. without having to pay a premium to live there.

I really need a clue on energy costs before my husband shuts the door on this awesome house. Anyone have an idea of monthly costs on a 2100 sq ft house (includes a 3-car garage)? Note: heating and range are gas. We generally set the thermostat at 74 for cooling and 66 for heating.

I appreciate all comments. Thanks for your advice everyone.
If you really do not want to be that close to Refineries then you need to check out Santa Fe. Dickinson is much closer to the refineries than you might want to be

Old 12-17-2014, 06:34 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Part of Texas City city limits is in Dickinson ISD, in fact about a third of the land area is (though it's the least developed third) - and it's the furthest from the refineries. I think Santa Fe ISD begins not far south of FM 517 on FM 646. I've known people who lived around there and went to Santa Fe.

As for which is further from the refineries out of Dickinson or Santa Fe, you're splitting hairs. There are refineries at Chocolate Bayou to the south of Santa Fe too. If you fear oil refineries, I'm afraid the Texas Gulf Coast isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston