Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the architecture in Houston?
The city's architecture is just fine with me 6 42.86%
The city's architecture could be better 8 57.14%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:31 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times

Advertisements

Houston, along with many Sunbelt cities, is constantly being criticized for having boring architecture. Between the wide, boxy glass towers and stucco-like parking garages, not many seem to be a fan of the scenery our skyline has to offer. Unfortunately, I often agree. I do not have a problem with some post modern structures, but so many of them are so bland and have no bit of aesthetic appeal to them.

The Esperson buildings are like the jewels of downtown. Very romantic and elegant. Where are our other buildings like them? I would love for this city to have a mini building boom of highrises and skyscrapers that paid homage to the Italian Renaissance or Art Deco era, for example. Ushering back in a new trend of brick buildings that allowed such elaborate and classic design from the minds of some of the world's greatest architects.

My question is, are we too far gone in technology and time for these types of structures to ever become likely again? Would it be too expensive, nowadays? Would it be cheaper? Would building them take more time than most are willing to commit to?

They're certainly not out of style, but I was just wondering if such an aspiration was unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
[MOD CUT]

I wouldn't want them to go creating faux-Art Deco skyscrapers in 2008. It'd be the staturally superior cousin of the "Mocktorians." I can't envision it being anything but cheesy.

I think our skyline works well as it is. If Houston's boom was in the 1920s instead of the 1970s it'd look more like you'd want it to.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-05-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 01:51 PM

[MOD CUT]

Quote:
I wouldn't want them to go creating faux-Art Deco skyscrapers in 2008. It'd be the staturally superior cousin of the "Mocktorians." I can't envision it being anything but cheesy.
How could it be cheesy if it was genuinely built with the right materials?

Quote:
I think our skyline works well as it is. If Houston's boom was in the 1920s instead of the 1970s it'd look more like you'd want it to.
I keep hearing the same thing, but that's a poor excuse to me. Besides, I'm not necessarily talking about building the old way. I'm also talking about bring craftsmenship back, period. Even with post modern materials.

Last edited by da jammer; 01-05-2008 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
80% of the crew don't even speak english and have had no craft training. How do you expect to get craftmenship back?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
80% of the crew don't even speak english and have had no craft training. How do you expect to get craftmenship back?
What are you talking about?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What are you talking about?
Have you been on a construction site lately?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Have you been on a construction site lately?
What do construction workers have to do with the design of a building?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What do construction workers have to do with the design of a building?
Oh, nothing, they just build the building. Nothing major.

You are wanting to see actual buildings go up and not just architect's blueprints, right?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Oh, nothing, they just build the building. Nothing major.

You are wanting to see actual buildings go up and not just architect's blueprints, right?

Exactly. You can have all the flying buttresses and spires you want in your plans, but if your crews are unskilled it will never get built.
You can't return to the days where people came from eastern Europe with stone, brick and wood skills. They just don't exist anymore. The building that were created during the Art Deco period were the last hurrah. Oh, you can find a few craftsmen that charge astronimical amounts for small projects, but nothing on the scale of grand old architecture in commercial form.
Construction companies are about money, hispanic labor is cheap. If they can take orders, they can build. You'll just end up with some movie set looking building, fake and cheap.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Exactly. You can have all the flying buttresses and spires you want in your plans, but if your crews are unskilled it will never get built.
You can't return to the days where people came from eastern Europe with stone, brick and wood skills. They just don't exist anymore. The building that were created during the Art Deco period were the last hurrah. Oh, you can find a few craftsmen that charge astronimical amounts for small projects, but nothing on the scale of grand old architecture in commercial form.
Construction companies are about money, hispanic labor is cheap. If they can take orders, they can build. You'll just end up with some movie set looking building, fake and cheap.
Not true. And the last time I checked, construction workers built however they were told. These aren't houses we're talking about. We're talking about highrises and skyscrapers.

Here are a few examples of post modern structures that used stone and brick materials:

One Worldwide Plaza, New York

Carnegie Hall Tower, New York

191 Peachtree Tower, Atlanta

Bank of America Center: Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston