Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times

Advertisements

There are a few threads about United here in the Houston forum because of it's history, but also the IAH airport. So here is another, and another topic United will not like. Looks like United not only dislikes Southwest competing with international markets, it does not want other airlines to do so either.

Big Airlines Fight to Cancel Cheap International Travel

If a ticket goes for ~$1400 for a R/T to Europe, but a discount airline can come in and serve the same route, and tout better service for ~$800, which airline do you think will get the business? There have been many mergers in the last decade, now that they have a quasi monopoly on routes, they don't want any interference.

I say let them eat cake. I'm tired of being nickel and dimed by the big three, and cheaper and cheaper service as a result of less choices. Even the simple things like being able to choose your seats was taken away only so they can charge a fee for doing so. I'm not sure the new airline is any different, but that the domestic carriers did away with that did not sit well with a lot of us.

To the big three airlines.... reap what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,591 times
Did you see the changes to MileagePlus for 2015 announced today? I used to fly IAH -> HNL fairly often and that route yielded me about 9200 miles (EQMs as well) because earnings was based on mileage. Starting in 2015, MileagePlus is going to a spend based earning system. Assuming the average fare of IAH -> HNL being about $875, that route now yields 4375 miles for a non-elite member. Silver members would only be 6100. The HIGHEST level of elite United offers (1K) would earn 9625 miles. Essentially, a standard flier would get less than HALF the mileage they would earn this year, and only the highest statuses would earn anywhere near what they earn today.

Ugh. Just absolutely ugh. I hate United's culture and miss my beloved Continental Airlines.

Mileageplus Calculator

Quote:
What’s new: How you earn award miles
As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express® tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) instead of the distance you fly, so members will be rewarded for their travel spending on United. And when you have Premier® status, you’ll earn even more.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
United is horrible. Airline prices are crazy. IAH has one of the highest gate prices in the US. I wish Southwest would expand some more cities. I am glad to see SW go after some international. Screw United!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default Dang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Did you see the changes to MileagePlus for 2015 announced today? I used to fly IAH -> HNL fairly often and that route yielded me about 9200 miles (EQMs as well) because earnings was based on mileage. Starting in 2015, MileagePlus is going to a spend based earning system. Assuming the average fare of IAH -> HNL being about $875, that route now yields 4375 miles for a non-elite member. Silver members would only be 6100. The HIGHEST level of elite United offers (1K) would earn 9625 miles. Essentially, a standard flier would get less than HALF the mileage they would earn this year, and only the highest statuses would earn anywhere near what they earn today.

Ugh. Just absolutely ugh. I hate United's culture and miss my beloved Continental Airlines.

Mileageplus Calculator
I knew they would follow American/US! This is how I used to get my family to Europe every other year... I would 'sacrifice' and do mileage runs and get status, then do more to get enough miles to purchase tickets. Without the miles, it would cost me about 12K to fly my family to Europe. I'm going to check out Flyertalk to see what's going on. So long mileage running!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Last night I saw tv commercials advertising new Southwest routes to Mexico and Dominican Republic. I was in Chicago.

Agree that service on United has steadily declined. My peeve is flying regional jets across the country.

Last edited by Oildog; 06-10-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,697,269 times
Mexico will be a big money maker for them. I hope they pick up some Caribbean routes later, though I doubt they are worth the money.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
United is horrible. Airline prices are crazy. IAH has one of the highest gate prices in the US. I wish Southwest would expand some more cities. I am glad to see SW go after some international. Screw United!
Totally agree. Can't fly to the west coast now at a reasonable rate. starts around 475 and just goes up. Normally see rates around 600-700 even months out. It's no fun.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
I was on a United flight last week from California. There was a woman who was using a cane with a limp getting on the aircraft. You could see how uncomfortable she was. Well, they close the main cabin door, and the entire exit row was empty. She asked the stewardess if she could move to one of those seats so she could stretch out her bad leg. The stewardess said she could move there for $79, and she'd be happy to run the lady's credit card.

United would rather keep the seats empty and have a passenger that obviously could use one to be more comfortable.

United is saying, "We care about every dollar and not our customers."

Thank goodness the women didn't need an aspirin. United would have said they'd be happy to run one on her credit card.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,169 times
I know in a lot of ways they weren't too much better, but I miss Continental :[.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM

413 posts, read 1,180,187 times
My most worst experiences are flying United, AA and Delta. I avoid them all if possible.

International Flight:

Cheap food
Different money for different seats within economy
No complementary alcoholic drinks on international flight. Sir, that would be 7 dollars.
Bag Fees
No eye mask

American airlines have stooped to undesirable levels. I flew Emirates to Dubai in economy and it was awesome. I asked for whisky and the stewardess said - Sir, would you like to make it double

Flying united, AA and Delta is always a miserable experience (in Economy). I hope they treat the rich ppl nice in Business and First class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston