Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Basically what is horrible and awful to some is joy for others. Some can't deal with cold and wet and enjoy the heat. While others can't deal with the heat and humidity and clammor for the cold.

It's not a sign of weakness or wussing out in either case. Those you laugh at who can't take your favorite weather conditions do the same when you can't take theirs. For those of you loving the cold, revel in this. It's what you love. For me, I'm waiting for lizard weather, as my coworker calls it when I go spend my daily lunch hour outdoors in the August heat. This cold weather - I hibernate. Even my texas pets fight to see which of them can claim the spot closest to the fireplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Cold weather sucks, but is usually only 1-2 month compared to the 5-6 months I used to have to deal with in Missouri
I gotta say .... it's nice not having mosquitoes

Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Basically what is horrible and awful to some is joy for others. Some can't deal with cold and wet and enjoy the heat. While others can't deal with the heat and humidity and clammor for the cold.

It's not a sign of weakness or wussing out in either case. Those you laugh at who can't take your favorite weather conditions do the same when you can't take theirs. For those of you loving the cold, revel in this. It's what you love. For me, I'm waiting for lizard weather, as my coworker calls it when I go spend my daily lunch hour outdoors in the August heat. This cold weather - I hibernate. Even my texas pets fight to see which of them can claim the spot closest to the fireplace.
Well said, all weather is not for all people, just like all places are not for all people. I hibernate when it's hot and thrive when it's cold.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Once again no sun today weatherman said last night we would get a few hrs of sun today looks like friday we will get sun and then tuseday it will be cloudy again

Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I used to complain about that until the summer of 2010 (I think), when it never rained and a lot of the trees died in Memorial Park. That year was so miserably hot and dry I thought we were going to have to plant cacti in the yard because they were predicting it was the start of a ten-year drought. Ever since that drought ended I vowed to never complain about the rain or humidity again. I've mostly kept that vow.
It was 2011. Most of the year was incredibly dry and hot. Memorial Park will never be the same in our lifetimes. It was heartbreaking to see the damage. I'm like you...I will never seriously complain about rain or humidity, as it brings life. In a normal year, the greenery and flowers in the Houston area are something I love to see when I visit. And I love the palm trees being used for landscaping down there!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post

Same with my pets. And my cats have been competing for a spot on my lap, and when I'm sleeping, they're sleeping on top of me. I like it but it's difficult to move around when I'm sleeping, so I wake up with a back ache.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 6,749 times
This is a typical Houston winter, but it does seem like we've gone a bit long with out a sunny day. I think we've had about 2 semi-sunny days this month.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmikeb View Post
This is a typical Houston winter, but it does seem like we've gone a bit long with out a sunny day. I think we've had about 2 semi-sunny days this month.
Right. It seems we're catching a lot of tail ends of cold fronts that are doing just enough to cool us down, but not enough to actually blow the crusty stuff out of the air.

I guess I'll live, but these drizzly days are keeping me from putting another mirror on my old truck. A stork just flat took it out on 12/30 on my way home up 146 and I had to forgo inspection until I get it dealt with.

Soon.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
My wife was just saying this today.
Seems like it's been gloomier than usual this winter to her.
It seems about the same as most winters to me though.
Yeah, I'll gladly take this over 95+ everyday during the summer.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Right. It seems we're catching a lot of tail ends of cold fronts that are doing just enough to cool us down, but not enough to actually blow the crusty stuff out of the air.

I guess I'll live, but these drizzly days are keeping me from putting another mirror on my old truck. A stork just flat took it out on 12/30 on my way home up 146 and I had to forgo inspection until I get it dealt with.

Soon.
The problem is a repetition of low pressure systems coming out of the southwest. They bring in Pacific moisture at mid levels and Gulf moisture at low levels. The gloom has been covering most of Texas and much of the south. Pretty typical winter pattern, although during some winters (especially la nina years) we get a lot more sun. During my first year of college in the 70s (I won't say which year!), we had a la nina winter and it was sunny nearly every day all winter, with almost no rain. Then there was 1973, which was so gloomy and wet that construction all over Houston was halted for much of the winter. There was mud everywhere. There have been other winters just about as bad, and others pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston