Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Dog View Post
So overall: Orlando is a much cleaner city, that's known for Longleaf pine and southern yellow pine which are used extensively in home construction in the U.S. Orlando also has many different varieties of Palm Trees throughout the city along with some of best air quality in the United States (unlike Houston). Houston has mostly scrub oak / live oak and some Pines north of Houston....like up in the Woodlands. Most of the area has very poor soil values until you get closer to the the water. Houston’s position near the Gulf means that humid marine air masses and wind speeds are more likely to influence its weather. The climate in Houston is probably more akin to Tampa than Orlando, with Tampa being slightly milder in the winter months.
This is pure exaggeration.

About a good 70% (this a pretty safe assumption) of the metro is covered in a pines. You hit pines way before The Woodlands. There are tons on the eastside in the Baytown area. You have a great deal of them in the Dickinson area. You have some in the Katy - West Houston area. You have some in Fort Bend and Brazoria County. Places like Memorial City and ITL neighborhoods are covered in pines.

Houston is very similar to Orlando in appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:11 AM

144 posts, read 236,014 times
What areas that are nice have school districts to avoid?

What school districts should be avoided?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 AM

455 posts, read 771,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This is pure exaggeration.

About a good 70% (this a pretty safe assumption) of the metro is covered in a pines. You hit pines way before The Woodlands. There are tons on the eastside in the Baytown area. You have a great deal of them in the Dickinson area. You have some in the Katy - West Houston area. You have some in Fort Bend and Brazoria County. Places like Memorial City and ITL neighborhoods are covered in pines.

Houston is very similar to Orlando in appearance.
I completely disagree. It's VERY obvious by your comments that you've never lived in Houston, no?.... I'm almost certain as well that you've probably never set foot in Texas.

The two cities are nothing alike.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:10 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corecore View Post
what areas that are nice have school districts to avoid?

What school districts should be avoided?
hisd.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:42 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Dog View Post
I completely disagree. It's VERY obvious by your comments that you've never lived in Houston, no?.... I'm almost certain as well that you've probably never set foot in Texas.

The two cities are nothing alike.
I live here.

Carry on...

Old 01-27-2015, 06:53 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
hisd.
HISD has some bad schools but also has the top rated schools in the metro so it's not fair to make such a broad statement.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 773 times
Hello CoreCore, I also am relocating at the end of march to the Houston area where my wife will be working on jfk blvd in Houston . We are in kissimmee fl and you can find a lot of house for 350k in Texas just prepare yourself for tax shock as the property taxes in Texas compared to Florida are astronomical, they say its because they have no state income tax but we dont in Florida either and my taxes here in florida on 2200 square ft are only 821 dollars a year here and average in cypress,spring,and humble area range from 6000.00 to over 10000.00 depending on the home value and location.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
My property taxes were in the $7k range. I just sent them off yesterday.

I'd much rather have a state income tax INSTEAD of property taxes if I had to choose between those two options.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
HISD has some bad schools but also has the top rated schools in the metro so it's not fair to make such a broad statement.
There are very few top rated schools in that district, compared to the many low-performing ones. I would not recommend sending any child to that district, unless it's one of the magnet schools.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 PM

144 posts, read 236,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
There are very few top rated schools in that district, compared to the many low-performing ones. I would not recommend sending any child to that district, unless it's one of the magnet schools.
So what neighborhoods would I need to avoid so I am not zoned for hisd schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston