Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times

Advertisements

Bottom line, the Rodeo is the last place for a regular-Joe to get good BBQ - - and there are plenty of other marginal places around town. A little bit of on-line research will get you to one of the top places in Houston (Gatlin, Corkscrew, Killen's, etc), where you can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:23 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,054 times
Lots of misinformation and sour grapes on here it seems. The World Championship BBQ Cookoff is largely a way for vendors to say "Thank You" to customers. Cookoff is one big party weekend. Since you're new here, you don't have any dealings with vendors who would invite you to Cookoff. If you really want to go, check Craigslist. You can likely get tent passes for $50 apiece. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

If you like to party AND support a good cause, there are MANY BBQ teams who sell sponsorships. Often these teams throw one huge ass, weekend long party but donate a good portion of the money to a charity for special needs kiddos or directly back to HLSR by purchasing calves for the calf scramble. Like this Cookoff team: www.ritchsraiders.net

Additionally, lots of folks will go for the live music. There's a big stage which hosts country music all three nights.

Hope this clears up some of the negative comments on here. I can't wait for Cookoff. Best weekend of the year in Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosstheway View Post
Hello,

My husband and I just moved to Houston a couple of months ago and I've heard a fair amount of talk about something called a rodeo here in Houston I grew up on the west coast and east coast and have never been to anything like this.

Anyway, we're very excited to go and I also saw that in late February there is the World Championship BBQ cook off, which sounds awesome. I was doing some research and saw that it's about $15 to get in but then you don't get any BBQ unless you are invited to a private tent.

I'm totally confused...I have never been to a BBQ cook off, but what's the point of having one if people can't taste the BBQ? Is there a way that you purchase tickets to an individual tent online? I've read that you have to "know the right people" but who are these people? We don't have any good Houston friends yet or know of people "in the know." Also, if you're in one tent, you don't go to other tents to sample other tents' BBQ? How does the judging even work? I guess it's not voted on by the participants.

Help, please? I love BBQ!

Old 01-27-2015, 04:33 PM

677 posts, read 653,261 times
If you want great BBQ just forget about finding it in Houston. Take a nice day trip out to Austin and some of the surrounding country towns, and you can enjoy a nice day, or weekend exploring the best BBQ in the state.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:49 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Louis Mueller in Taylor FTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
If you want great BBQ just forget about finding it in Houston. Take a nice day trip out to Austin and some of the surrounding country towns, and you can enjoy a nice day, or weekend exploring the best BBQ in the state.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 PM

677 posts, read 653,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Louis Mueller in Taylor FTW.
Great spot ... of course everyone knows Franklin's by now (if you want a line), but La BBQ is probably the best overall in the area, also Black's is great, Mueller's Meat Market in Austin, some of the spots in Lockhart ... central Texas is awash in great BBQ spots.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Lots of great old school BBQ in Central Texas - - but I am glad I no longer have to drive 2+ hours from Houston to get my fix. When I want to make a road trip out of it, Lockhart for sure.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Lots of misinformation and sour grapes on here it seems. The World Championship BBQ Cookoff is largely a way for vendors to say "Thank You" to customers. Cookoff is one big party weekend. Since you're new here, you don't have any dealings with vendors who would invite you to Cookoff. If you really want to go, check Craigslist. You can likely get tent passes for $50 apiece. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

If you like to party AND support a good cause, there are MANY BBQ teams who sell sponsorships. Often these teams throw one huge ass, weekend long party but donate a good portion of the money to a charity for special needs kiddos or directly back to HLSR by purchasing calves for the calf scramble. Like this Cookoff team: www.ritchsraiders.net

Additionally, lots of folks will go for the live music. There's a big stage which hosts country music all three nights.

Hope this clears up some of the negative comments on here. I can't wait for Cookoff. Best weekend of the year in Houston!
This is confusing.

Yes, many suppliers have social events. If you don't know who invites you it may be kind of lame. Like a small wedding where you don't know anyone, with a cheap bar.

I agree with the team fundraising events which happen prior to the rodeo, you can get your food and drink on!

Wouldn't plan to attend the cookoff unless it were with some vendor trying to kiss my tail or a team I was a VIP at.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 AM

108 posts, read 484,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post

Great post, there are usually passes being sold on craigslist for those who really want to try it out. I also wanted to add, there is music most of the afternoon on Saturdays also. Can't wait for it to all kick off!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosstheway View Post
Well, thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to ask around, but it sounds like it's a no-starter. It still seems pretty bizarre that you can't buy a ticket to a tent, like some sort of exclusive club. And I'll check out Gatlin's BBQ
That exactly what it is. Private parties for companies and people with money. Going to the cook off is a waste of time unless you get an invite into one of the tents.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Great post, there are usually passes being sold on craigslist for those who really want to try it out. I also wanted to add, there is music most of the afternoon on Saturdays also. Can't wait for it to all kick off!
My issue is with the promos that you hear that always say something like, "Come out and sample some of the best BBQ in the nation at the World's Champion BBQ Cook-off."

Sure, you can get on the internet and pay $50 (or more) for each wristband for a tent that you will know nothing about where they most likely will be serving pre-cooked line BBQ, but after dealing with transportation, the lines and paying to get into the event, it just won't be worth it for most people, IMHO.

My issue is how it is advertised to the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston