Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 12,843 times

Advertisements

Clueless in St. Louis! We're relocating with young children to Texas and the goal is to find a house as close to the coast as possible in a great school district. Help! We're house hunting in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Clear Lake (Clear creek Independent school district) or Friendswood have among the best districts in the state. Dickinson would be a step down, but you can do a lot worse. Don't go to La Marque. The state is debating whether to shut down their district.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:54 PM

189 posts, read 418,546 times
I'd agree. You'll probably want to stay reasonably close to the Clear Lake area for the schools. Some may argue, but I doubt you'd find want you want any closer to Galveston.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Clear Lake (Clear creek Independent school district) or Friendswood have among the best districts in the state. Dickinson would be a step down, but you can do a lot worse. Don't go to La Marque. The state is debating whether to shut down their district.
^^ This.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:41 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Although a bit away from the coast, Alvin ISD is also pretty solid. HWY 6 is about a 30-minute drive to the island, but not overly congested. You can also take a few different back roads down to some fishing spots close to the ICW, such as FM 2917.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 AM

126 posts, read 193,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Definitely clear creek or friendswoo. Friendswood is a small district with only one high school so if you buy anywhere in that district you'll be good. Clear Creek is a big district so you have to see where your potential house will be zoned to, for the most part their schools are good too.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
League city is in clear creek isd and has a coastal feel in certain parts of it.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:03 PM

38 posts, read 86,661 times
We are also moving to Galveston, and we have two elementary aged kids. I was able to enter the lottery (all of the elementary schools in Galveston are lottery based) and both of my sons (currently in K and 3rd grade) were accepted to Oppe, which gets a good rating on Great Schools. My husband is a graduate student at Duke, currently, and the PI packed the lab up and moved to UTMB - right before my husband's last year. So, he will be a grad student at Duke but will work at UTMB. So, if you wanted to live ON Galveston Island you would never be "guaranteed" a school by your address. All are lottery. That being said, I know that Galveston ISD has a bad rep, and so do Durham Schools (where my kids are currently) but I lotteried them into the best school in Durham and we have been very happy with it. I am apprehensive about the move, but it is likely only for a year until my husband (finally) graduates. We will rent, probably on the West End near the kids' school. Husband thinks he will be able to ride his bike to work, but we will see. I am a research administrator here at Duke so I am applying to UTMB for grant management jobs. Wish me luck!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 PM

61 posts, read 127,774 times
I second either Friendswood ISD or Clear Creek ISD. We live in Friendswood ISD and love it here (I grew up here, too). The schools are great. Clear Creek has some really good schools, too, but you'll have to look at district boundaries to make sure you are zoned to the best schools in CCISD. In FISD, there is only one jr. high and high school, and only two zones for elementary/intermediate, and all the schools are good. Friendswood has more of a small town feel than many other Houston suburbs. With that comes all the good and bad of a small town-- everyone knows your business, be that good or bad . If you decide on FISD, when searching for houses on HAR, be sure to enter the school district into the search. There are parts of Friendswood that are in CCISD (and those are not zoned to the best CCISD schools, unfortunately).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston