Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I guess I get a little irritated and possibly defensive when I hear about how "boring" Houston is because we lack either mountains or tourist icons.
I'm confused by the haters' obsession with mountains. Was there a picture of a mountain in the brochure for Houston when these people were looking for a place to live? Every time we have one of these threads, you inevitably get someone saying "MOUNTAINS MOUNTAINS, where are the mountainzzz???/"

Seriously, is there is someone out there we don't know about that's luring people here with false promises of mountains? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I want to do that Escspe Room! I love mysteries and puzzles. If only I could find a group to go with. Almost everyone thinks I am crazy for wanting to do it!
I'd really like to try the Escape Room too! But knowing my friends, we'd probably end up eating each other to survive, since we'll never get out of there alive.....

Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Seriously, is there is someone out there we don't know about that's luring people here with false promises of mountains? I don't get it.
Maybe they've seen the movie Uncommon Valor a few times to many, and assumed those mountains "North of Galveston Texas" were located in Houston.

Uncommon Valor

Old 02-18-2015, 11:41 AM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Are there things we can do that are uniquely Houston and nowhere else?

I want to be able to show off to my family and friends in other parts of the country that I'm doing this that or the other and they have to come down to visit for them to enjoy.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:05 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
As far as Port Lavaca goes, they usually just go into Victoria for fun that is not on the gulf. I have family that live in both cities,so if you need ideas for that area I can start a new thread ;-)

Okay you win guys. Houston is a desolate wasteland with absolutely nothing to do. It boring , boring, boring,boring,boring, and oh so boring.
So would you go so far as to say there Port Lavaca/Victoria is just as fun as Houston, and anyone who says otherwise are boring losers with no social life?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
So would you go so far as to say there Port Lavaca/Victoria is just as fun as Houston, and anyone who says otherwise are boring losers with no social life?
Well, I enjoyed living there. There are lots of things to do there. It's just different from Houston. I've lived in lots of places in Texas and the world. So I look for the good things in a place I live.

As far as Victoria/Port Lavaca...I love going fishing there and getting fresh shrimp off the boats. Going muddin at Coleto Creek is fun. I used to go horseback riding all the time. Going to Schroeder hall is fun.
Welcome to Schroeder Hall - Second Oldest Dance Hall in Texas

dairy Treet is a local drive in burger place that has great food.

riverside Park is great for running and has a nice picnic spot at the duck pond. Very nice golf course too.

I've got a lot more if you really want to know what to do in that area. I started this thread to showcase things that Houston has to offer, not harp on what it doesn't offer. :-) I could start a thread about Denver, Calgary, Paris, or London if I wanted to showcase their offerings.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

I want to be able to show off to my family and friends in other parts of the country that I'm doing this that or the other and they have to come down to visit for them to enjoy.
Catfish noodling?

Catfish Noodling - Brazos River Adventurez

Old 02-18-2015, 12:44 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Well, I enjoyed living there. There are lots of things to do there. It's just different from Houston. I've lived in lots of places in Texas and the world. So I look for the good things in a place I live.

As far as Victoria/Port Lavaca...I love going fishing there and getting fresh shrimp off the boats. Going muddin at Coleto Creek is fun. I used to go horseback riding all the time. Going to Schroeder hall is fun.
Welcome to Schroeder Hall - Second Oldest Dance Hall in Texas

dairy Treet is a local drive in burger place that has great food.

riverside Park is great for running and has a nice picnic spot at the duck pond. Very nice golf course too.

I've got a lot more if you really want to know what to do in that area. I started this thread to showcase things that Houston has to offer, not harp on what it doesn't offer. :-) I could start a thread about Denver, Calgary, Paris, or London if I wanted to showcase their offerings.
I've been to both and don't intend to go back. The fishing was ok but with the Alcoa plant right next to the water I had no desire to consume anything I caught.
If you have ideas about what to do in Bryant/College Station or Brenham I would love to hear them.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I've been to both and don't intend to go back. The fishing was ok but with the Alcoa plant right next to the water I had no desire to consume anything I caught.
If you have ideas about what to do in Bryant/College Station or Brenham I would love to hear them.
Sorry, went to UT. I've got lots to say about Austin....

Old 02-18-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

I would check out the George R Ranch. It's very Texan. Also the rodeo if they are in town. You can pay to have a BBQ tasting, although I usually just eat at a good place beforehand.

The shopping in River Oaks is fun. When Katy Perry was in town, that's where she went. I like Ra sushi there. It's a mix of shopping.

To showcase Houston being a bayou city, eat at Brenners on the Bayou. The outdoor bar there is really fancy.
Southern fried chicken | Yelp
It's very pricey though. It's close to Bayou Bend, which has a pretty garden and a nice house. It shows what money used to look like in old Houston. Don't go expecting a palace. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston