Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 37,647 times

Advertisements

Hi-
We have a game room and would now like to have it upgraded/changed to a media room. Anyone has done anything like this or any idea as to how much it may cost not including the cost of electronics , but just the structural changes cost and things like pre-wiring.
Also if you know of any contractors(Katy cinco area) doing such jobs will be appreciated too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,623 times
It can be as cheap as you want it or as expensive. I've looked into it and I've estimated around 10k for proper changes and decent equipment (but can go up exponentially based on what type of equipment you want). really depends on your current situation and how serious you want to get.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times
Do you just want to run drops for cables or do you want to do full blown sound deadening and acoustic correction with media room lighting and all that jazz? Cost totally depends on the scope of your project.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,287 times
Call Matt at Katy Media Rooms and get his advice.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
This is kind of like asking, "I want to buy a car, how much will it cost me?"

What you need to do is come up with your budget, short term and long term desires and plan accordingly.

Do yourself a favor and do some reading over at AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 PM

22 posts, read 45,276 times
Contact Dustin Brooks at Dbrooks@DGBpros.com. He does remodeling and construction in the Katy/Cinco Ranch area. He updated our kitchen and put a media room in our neighbor's home.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,180,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prav27 View Post
Hi-
We have a game room and would now like to have it upgraded/changed to a media room. Anyone has done anything like this or any idea as to how much it may cost not including the cost of electronics , but just the structural changes cost and things like pre-wiring.
Also if you know of any contractors(Katy cinco area) doing such jobs will be appreciated too.

Thanks
AVS forums is your friend. My old "media room" was a TV and Blu-Ray player. New one is professionally designed with an audio, video and acoustic treatment package. It ran into 35K plus with no soundproofing and structural changes (new doors, soffit, lighting scheme etc) or any fancy automation software. If I were to add these things, 50K easy. One of my friends spend 100K on his but he a doctor

If your budget is 25-35K and you don't want any fancy room structural changes, I can send you a PM with people you can contact to get it done. For 10-15K, you'll be buying standard equipment with no acoustic treatments. You can save a lot of money if you can DIY.

A lot will depend on your game room size. How wide is it? Is is open from the sides? Does it have a lot of windows for the light to come through? Before spending any money, make sure you have a room that can be actually turned into a media room. If you buy 20K speakers and the room is open in the back, the money just went down the drain. Do a lot of reading on aVS.

avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
A lot will depend on your game room size. How wide is it?
My room size is what mainly killed me. I used an unfinished attic space, so it's only 9 x 16. Additionally, I had to make some compromises for my wife in terms of design (colors, she didn't want any acoustical treatments, etc) as well as budget. I also made many mistakes by not educating myself enough.

All of my friends and "regular" people say it's great, and it destroys watching movies on a tv, but it is far below a professionally set up media room and many DIY's.

Like I said, I made a lot of mistakes, my room is too small, my wife wanted to have a say and my budget was limited, so there is no need to point out all of it's faults and everything that should have been done different.

Hence the reason I always tell people to go to AVSforum and educate themselves PRIOR to the project and not discover it AFTER the project like I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston