Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times

Advertisements

If they send their kids to Yates then I have respect...what folks are doing is buying a home, hiding in them all day and spending money and school across 288

Might as well rent an apartment since you have intentions of participating in the community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:46 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Then why did ask for thoughts? Sounds like you already made up your mind... unless you're looking for affirmation just to stroke your own ego. BTW the above is why the natives there hate you so much. You want to stick with your self-centered, gay white hipster selves and have no intention to actually participate, integrate and better the community. Your "me, myself and I" lifestyles are loathed.

Those are my thoughts you asked for. Just so you know. Otherwise I have no dog in this fight.
You're the one who started out with the negativity and the unwarranted assumptions. I was asking for thoughts on how to find a house outside of HAR, not for thoughts on whether we should make the plunge or not, we've already made up our mind on the matter. Also, LOL at your assumption that we're gay white hipsters because last time I checked, I'm clearly not white and my friends aren't either.
Lastly, as far as our participation in the neighborhood, we will be patronizing the restaurants, businesses, and public spaces in the Trae, but that's as far as it will go. In that sense we are helping the community by spending our dollars there -- In that sense we're bettering the community I suppose, but we will be sticking to ourselves, not because we don't want to help out, but more because of how busy all of us are with work and school.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Riverside Terrace and Washington Terrace (the area north of Riverside Terrace) are definitely leading the gentrification wave in that part of Houston. In addition to the older homes being renovated, newer ones (both attached townhomes and detached homes) are being built. Prices have increased considerably in the last two years.

No neighborhood gets to choose who can move in. Both new residents and old residents can be "good neighbors", per traditional definition of such, or not. Being a good neighbor does not have to include patronizing the same businesses and cultural institutions as older residents, though. Or sending children to the same schools. Those argumenting otherwise (and this argument is being made in gentrifying areas all over the nation) have no case, and public policy makers certainly should pay no attention to them.

Eventually the "Bottoms" will be encircled by gentrification to the north (EaDo), west (Midtown) and south (Washington Terrace and Riverside Terrace), plus the universities, especially UH. It will be difficult to avoid the same radical remaking of the neighborhood that happened in 4th Ward and is happening in 1st and 2nd wards right now. And all of those areas have been dominated by lower-income Blacks and Hispanics for a few decades now - but that is irrelevant.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 AM

I help plenty of areas by spending but that's little consolation.....have kid and send them to HISD schools in the tre, do ll baseball, etc

Old 03-06-2015, 11:38 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I've been told that there's alotta black history in that area.

It's so sad.
You can kiss that that good bye, if third ward gets gentrified.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You can kiss that that good bye, if third ward gets gentrified.
Also, there are nice areas to 3rd ward that doesn't need to be gentrified. I do agree that the area north of Wheeler, TXSU, and UH do need to be gentrified because it looks a mess.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:32 PM

no...just remodel it.....

Old 03-06-2015, 01:36 PM

226 posts, read 284,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
if they take over the Bottoms....then I believe it....
New upscale apartments are already being developed in that area.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Riverside Terrace and Washington Terrace (the area north of Riverside Terrace) are definitely leading the gentrification wave in that part of Houston. In addition to the older homes being renovated, newer ones (both attached townhomes and detached homes) are being built. Prices have increased considerably in the last two years.

No neighborhood gets to choose who can move in. Both new residents and old residents can be "good neighbors", per traditional definition of such, or not. Being a good neighbor does not have to include patronizing the same businesses and cultural institutions as older residents, though. Or sending children to the same schools. Those argumenting otherwise (and this argument is being made in gentrifying areas all over the nation) have no case, and public policy makers certainly should pay no attention to them.

Eventually the "Bottoms" will be encircled by gentrification to the north (EaDo), west (Midtown) and south (Washington Terrace and Riverside Terrace), plus the universities, especially UH. It will be difficult to avoid the same radical remaking of the neighborhood that happened in 4th Ward and is happening in 1st and 2nd wards right now. And all of those areas have been dominated by lower-income Blacks and Hispanics for a few decades now - but that is irrelevant.
Says who?

I'm not waiting on public policy to consider my opinion, but that doesn't stop me from having one. Like hbcu has said, these people are welcomed to do as they please, but I do not respect what they stand for.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
I'll say the area from 288 as the west boundary, Blodgett/UH as the north boundary, Spur 5/Calhoun as the east boundary, and OST as the south boundary will all continue to appreciate. Yeah, there are a few shady apartments here and there, and also a few homes in need of fixing, but the area is getting a lot of attention. Many new builds and remodels. I have a friend that rents a room in a remodel with three other people off of Wichita. Many deals for students around here. The Savoy, you have the Vue and the Vue II, etc. As the area gets more populated by students, it'll only help out in the long run. Can forget about the schools though. That one elementary school on Griggs/Tierwester looks okay though.

This is where the areas around Eastwood have a leg up on Third Ward. I feel like their is more school participation from the neighborhood. You see similar things there with remodels and new builds. The area between Scott Street and the railroad tracks (basically Cullen) needs to be fixed, but it is generally a safe area. There are students over here too, but not as much as Third Ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston