Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 13,319 times

Advertisements

Hi Houstonians:

We are officially moving to Houston in June! My husband and I will both be working at Rice.

Both sides of my family are from Texas (grandfather is Texas Czech from Crosby, dad is from outside Dallas near the Oklahoma border). I think I have a good idea of what to expect in terms of weather and bugs, but don't know much about Houston itself. We visited the Menil Collection, ate lunch in Rice Village, shopped for records, drank bourbon downtown, and in general had a good time on our only visit there. But, that was only four days, and since it's such a massive city more information would be very helpful as we think about where to live.

Ideally, we would like to purchase a house within a year. Husband is gunning for a home purchase right away, since a mortgage in Houston is comparable to my 800 square foot rental in California, but I want to be sure we land in the right area and aren't stuck with a monstrous commute. This will be a jump in income for both of us (~185k combined), and I am trying to make sure we don't overextend ourselves. Husband has a condo in another state that we are going to rent out and have a management company handle. It should be about cost-neutral in a few months (about 100/month to maintain now).

Currently we are stuck deciding between a single-family home (mid century modern or ranch house) outside of the loop, or a fixer-upper or condo inside the loop. I have looked at the townhouses in our budget and don't like the looks of most of them (massive cubes, no personality -- I grew up in one and don't want to go back!). I will try to have an open mind, but dread dealing with HOAs and sharing walls if we don't have to. At the same time, it may be the only way we would be able to live in the walkable areas of Heights, Montrose and other close-to-Rice neighborhoods with our conservative budget.

Here's answers to the common questions:

1. Budget: up to 1500/month renting, 150-350k buying
2. How many bedrooms needed: 2+ (or ability to expand/remodel)
3. Renting or Buying: both, possibly rent and then buy
4. Apt, Condo, Townhouse, or House: house, condo, apartment, townhome (in order of preference)
5. Work locations: both at Rice University
6. Adults approx age: I'm 30, husband is 40
7. Approx ages of kids: none, DINKs
8. Commute time willing to put up with: 25 minutes or less (less the better)
9. What local amenities you want: if living inside the loop, walking to coffee, restaurants, bars, shops
10. What kind of vibe you are looking for: if inside the loop, bustling, artsy, diverse works for us. if outside: good sense of community, nice neighbors, all kinds of people are fine. We are willing to drive for weekend fun, but the closer to fun neighborhoods the better.

If there is any more information that may help, feel free to ask. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,730 times
My advice is to raise your buying budget and buy a mid-century modern or ranch in the Meyerland area. You can afford it on that salary. It's a great area, easy commute to Rice, close to everything in town, on the bayou bike trail if you're into that. Plus there are a huge number of Rice and UH people living in that part of town. Buy now, prices are only going up up up.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
I would look in the Binz area aka the museum district if i were you. Not as nice as the areas around Rice Village(Southhampton and South Grove) or West University Place, but you'd still be close to work and Montrose and midtown.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 PM

18 posts, read 26,363 times
I know I was the one asking for advice yesterday but with re: the condo idea -- my sister-in-law just bought a real awesome townhouse in Midtown (at your price point) that has seen ~10% appreciation in maybe 8 months. It seems like a great area with lots of fun amenities nearby. They are young (late 20s) but they seem to like it a lot. However, it doesn't seem like the easiest place to raise kids if you were looking to start a family soon, though.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:28 PM

676 posts, read 931,012 times
I would recommend looking in the Meyerland area. I live just a little bit west of there and commute to the Rice area. It is not a bad drive.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 PM

77 posts, read 114,278 times
So how much house do you guys think this couple can afford? If they are planning to have kids in the next couple years would you still tell them to up their budget? Some people like more spending money for vacations and extras than others.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:40 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times
Meyerland itself is out you need $450k to $600k to buy a house there Willowbend & Westbury fit your budget nicely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: